Arduino with proportional solenoid

Hi, I'm working on a project that using arduino to control speed of a double acting cylinder. I want to use 3 ways proportional solenoid to control the flow i.e control the speed. What types of proportional solenoid you recommend?

Edit: how about using rc-servo to control a ball vavle? What idea is the best for less headache/affordable?
Just found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/121136820592?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Is it useable?

Edit: since the hydraulic valves are too expensive,is there any pneumatic valves out there w/ the same function?

what sort of double acting cylinder ? Air ? Water ? Hydraulic ?

That valve you linked there is a water valve.

michinyon:
what sort of double acting cylinder ? Air ? Water ? Hydraulic ?

That valve you linked there is a water valve.

Hydraulic. I tried to find proportional solenoid for hydraulic, but it's so difficult :(. I am thinking about using high torque servo to control ball valve.

As far as understand, you try to actuate an hydraulic cylinder which has a minimum 30 bars of pressure. So you can't use the valve you linked due to pressure rating. That valve is intended for water purposes. If you want to control a hydraulic cylinder, than you need to use a hydraulic proportional valve for example, parker, vickers, duplomatic, aron, hystar etc. These are hydraulic valve manufacturers and you can find a proper valve with proper flow and pressure ratings. But while choosing a proportional valve, you need to take a careful look for control types of valve. Some of them, as far as i know can be controlled by pwm that means you can adjust the spool position, by doing so, speed of the cylinder. But i am NOT EXACTLY SURE for this. I am trying to control a proportional hydraulic solenoid as well and i will be trying in some weeks. (this is because these valves are too expensive, and i want to go over carefully.).

If i end up with a reasonable solution, i will let you know.

Hey Guys,

I tried to control a proportional valve and controlled the valve spool position by using PWM.

For your info, whoever is interested.

Note: Please be really sure while dealing with hydraulic. Be sure of selecting proper materials and their combinations. Due to high pressures and voltages, it may cause severe damage.

eXXonWaldez:
Hey Guys

I tried to control a proportional valve and controlled the valve spool position by using PWM.

For your info, whoever is interested.

Note: Please be really sure while dealing with hydraulic. Be sure of selecting proper materials and their combinations. Due to high pressures and voltages, it may cause severe damage.

I am interested in ur idea since the hydraulic valves so expensive,I cannot afford it. What pneumatic vlaves u use?

[/quote]

I am interested in ur idea since the hydraulic valves so expensive,I cannot afford it. What pneumatic vlaves u use?
[/quote]

Hi, i used hydraulic prop valve, did not try pneumatic, if you find any pneumatic, please let me see specs, maybe i can help.

eXXonWaldez:

[/quote]

Hi, i used hydraulic prop valve, did not try pneumatic, if you find any pneumatic, please let me see specs, maybe i can help.
[/quote]

I really don't have any idea about the specs. Could you please share me some tips when looking for proportional pneumatic valve working with android? I plan to use 12v (if 5v unavailable), 100 psi working pressure.

Hope you can help me :slight_smile: