Arduino with WDT power consumption

Hi all, I am trying to see if I can get the WDT interrupt using an Arduino Nano Pro to be lower than 6-7uA in sleep mode. I have an XBee ZigBee chip sleeping @ .7uA and waiting for a pin interrupt from the Arduino. It would be great if I can get the overall draw to be much lower.

I have read over the info at Gammon’s site: Gammon Forum : Electronics : Microprocessors : Interrupts

Thanks!

It looks like you can reduce it some if you lower the voltage:

|500x278

A possible alternative: I've been running at around 1uA (at 3.3V) using a 32kHz oscillator instead of the WDT. To do this you'd need to use the internal 8MHz oscillator as your system clock. You can get interrupts of various periods, up to 8 seconds (if I remember correctly) just like with the watchdog. Of course you'd have to have an external 32kHz crystal. And you'd use power save mode, not power down.

|500x285

brolly759: Hi all, I am trying to see if I can get the WDT interrupt using an Arduino Nano Pro to be lower than 6-7uA in sleep mode. I have an XBee ZigBee chip sleeping @ .7uA and waiting for a pin interrupt from the Arduino. It would be great if I can get the overall draw to be much lower.

Why do you want the WDT? You said you are waiting for a pin interrupt. Do you want both?

Gammon my buddy!!! You live in these forums ;)

Well, the xbee ZigBee is waiting for an interrupt to wake up.

So here is my theory. The xbee consumes about 34mA when its on. The xbee takes 50ms min interval to read its first ADC or any sensor value. That doesn't include the time it takes for the sensor to finish its rise and fall time. Even though the sleep current is lower, the time required to be awake and the power it uses does not make the xbee a standalone coin cell alternative. I would like to poll a sensor every few seconds. Almost real-time data. And if the threshold I need is tripped, then it wakes the xbee and sends the value.

So arduino is using its internal wdt and wakes up in x seconds. Reads the sensor. Goes to sleep. When threshold is hit, arduino wakes up the xbee and sends the recommended packet to the main hub.

At the moment I am at 5.2-5.4uA with xbee sleeping. Arduino is currently using 4.5uA by its self. I will also use a pin interrupt on the adduino using a Reed switch in case a door opens or closes. That would be real time sensing passively.

I'm using a 3.3v ir sensor made by sharp. It uses around 24mA. Is there a better. Cheaper. Smaller option to detect an object at around 5 feet? Ultrasonic is large, expensive and rise fall times are too large.