Arduino with Wine in Ubuntu

Hi,

I recently installed the Ubuntu (12.04) operating system. I downloaded the arduino windows version and used Wine to install and open it. The reason I want to use Wine rather than the linux version is that I have another program that runs exclusively on Windows that also needs to be able to access the arduino serial port). The software runs fine, but the arduino is not recognized in the windows software. It is recognized by my computer as /dev/ttyACM0. I've tried to create symlinks such as ln -s /dev/ttyACM0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/com1 (also com2 and com3) as well as in a few other places like ~/.wine/drive_c and ~/.wine/dosdevices/c: but nothing has worked. When the arduino software is running I see com1-9 in the serial port selection and choosing any of them it says that it is already in use.

I've been troubleshooting this for the last couple of days and have yet to find anything that works. Maybe I'm putting the symlinks in the wrong place?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

I don't understand why you need to run the windows version of the IDE. Regardless of the binary's origin, only one process can talk to the Arduino at once.