Arduino XBee Network Questions

Hello,

I’m planning to make some Arduino XBee network. I have spend last 2 days of reading about XBee And ZigBee but there is still some things I don’t understand completely.

My project is to make Arduino Xbee device that command multiple XBee devices ( no arduino ) .
Example : 1 Arduino Board + Etharnet Shild + XBee to be able to send commands to two 220V relays. On the relay boards have no Arduino only XBee + power etc. ( I attach image of project ) . On each of relay board I’ll attach different device ( Lamp, motor etc … )

I’ll use Arduino UNO for controller + XBee XB24 Serial 2 for all boards.

So what I understand from internet ( :smiley: ) XBee will send data to all of device in single PAN.
So I have 3 Xbee’s : 1 of them send data to other 2 BUT how they will know which must receive the command.
In example I want to send command to network ( example TURN ON LAMP ) and the device with lamp understand that this command is for him and turn on the lamp, but other device understand that command is not for him and ignore it. How can I achieve this ?

Q2: I want also to add some sensors again wireless with XBee modules that will send data to 1-st Xbee from above. How can I determinate from which board is data coming ?

Q3: What will happen if 2 sensors send data in same time ? Will data be scrambled at the end ? And if YES how can I process this ?

Q4: Can this XBee XB24 Serial 2 communicate with other ZigBee devices ?

Please excuse me if some questions are stupid I just cant find solution for problem.

So what I understand from internet ( smiley-grin ) XBee will send data to all of device in single PAN.

That depends on what you tell the coordinator to do, and how you've configured it. You SHOULD put it in API mode, and use the XBee library that Andrew Rapp developed. Talk to one end device/router at a time.

Actually, if you're not using an Arduino with each XBee, the XBees MUST be in API mode.

Questions 2 and 3 will become obvious when you start using API mode and the XBee library. Once an XBee recognizes that a packet is incoming from one device, it quits listening to the other devices, so, no, the data won't be scrambled. If there is a problem, the receiving XBee will ask the sender to send again.

Q4: Can this XBee XB24 Serial 2 communicate with other ZigBee devices ?

Specifically, what other ZigBee devices?

@PaulS Thx for the fast response!

Specifically, what other ZigBee devices?

I talking about all the ZigBee divece that are on the market like this one : Link
or this one : Link

Will it be posible to connect them to my Xbee Network with out need of reprograming them ?

Another Question: Is there some kind of standard for zigBee devices, I mean standard for commands ?

That if i have 5 different light switches to only use one command for all of them or I must use 5 different commands ?

That if i have 5 different light switches to only use one command for all of them or I must use 5 different commands ?

Is the "command" to the XBee or to the Arduino that the XBee is connected to? If the command is to the XBee, yes there is a standard way of telling it to turn pin n on or off. If it is to the Arduino, no, there is no standard.

PaulS:

Is the "command" to the XBee or to the Arduino that the XBee is connected to? If the command is to the XBee, yes there is a standard way of telling it to turn pin n on or off. If it is to the Arduino, no, there is no standard.

I mean the command that i must send to the end devices ( like this : Here ) from my arduino + Xbee setup. Is there some kind of standard for end devices ? And if have where can i find it ?

My goal is to have Arduino + Xbee module that can control many store HA ZigBee devices without reprogramming every time when i add new device ?

I don't know that an XBee can talk to that device. If it can, I have no idea what the protocol is.