Arduino Yahoo Mail Notifier Without Ethernet Sheild

I want to make something with the arduino so that when my email inbox either yahoo or hot mail or gmail or any email website is all right but yahoo preferably receives an email then the arduino triggers a servo and make it go to 90 degrees from 0 and after 5-10 seconds goes back to 0.

I want to do this but without an Ethernet shield.

I have an arduino duemilanove and the servo can easily be powered with the arduino itself as all it needs is 5V and 20mAh, so the arduino is enough to power and run the servo but I need help on how to do all the receiving updates from the mail and triggering the servo!

I am ready to use any other programming programs like processing if required…as long as it free of cost!

Thanks,
Awaiting your reply…

First you'd need to find out what sort of notifications yahoo support. Then I'd imagine a processing sketch to watch for that alert and then trigger the arduino. I think the notification will be the most difficult as most email programs/websites only offer audio/popup alerts. I suppose you could use a custom .wav file (possibly a tone?) and use the arduino to listen for that. You'd have to stay logged into your account for that though. This would be a lot easier to do using a ethernet shield!

It doesn't really need to be yahoo mail...any email ID is okay for me Gmail,hot mail, yahoo or anything!

Is there any email that givves the notification support? If yes then could you please request and get that support and then I could use that email website!

Thanks

I wonder whether there are projects for IP over serial, it should be possible to send internet data using the serial port.That might... give the possibilities to log on to a server and check Email. I do know that it's possible to set up the PC that way, which would eliminate the need for a shield, unfortunately I have no idea what's possible/available at the other end of the line.

ok...

Might one of these help? http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Interfacing/SerialNet

I wonder whether there are projects for IP over serial, it should be possible to send internet data using the serial port.

You might do some research from the past as ~10 years ago most home internet connections were made using the pc serial port via a modem. SLIP and PPP protocols seem to have been involved.

http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Interfacing/SerialNet This link does help...but I am a bit confused on which one to use and what they do even though it explains it...any help here would be great! Thanks!

What the other responders are trying to tell you is that you need some application on the PC that knows when you have mail, by whatever process that is. Once you know that, making the PC application send some data, via the serial port, to the Arduino, is trivial. Making the Arduino read the serial data, and cause the servo to wave like mad is easy.

So, you need to figure out how you would do this, purely as a PC application.

I just got this program that is in a sidebar in mozilla firefox and it shines when we get a new email....there is an email icon and when we have mail then there is a star on the icon and as I click the icon I would be directed to my email account even when I am logged out! So is it possible to use that application and make the servo work?

So is it possible to use that application and make the servo work?

Can that application send bytes out the pc serial port or execute programs on the pc?

I dont know…