Arduino Yun - Alternatives to Bridge Library

Hi, Are there alternatives to Arduino Yun's bridge library?? Because it's very slow and I can't use it for my purpose thanks

Hello, for my Foto-Interval-Timer the Bridge Library ist (functionally) oversized and needs too much memory. So I deactivated the bridge stuff at Linux side. (comment out the termial line in /etc/inittab) On the Linux side runs a shell script, which listen on the serial port (/dev/ttyATH0) and send the necessary information. On the Arduino side I open also the serial port (serial1) by my own. In my case a few characters are enough for communication between the two parts.

thank you Yif! Yes, Bridge is over sized..30% of the arduino memory!! I need only few integers to be passed from Linux side (received from WIFI) to the Arduino side. Have a nice day!

rockeronline00: thank you Yif! Yes, Bridge is over sized..30% of the arduino memory!! I need only few integers to be passed from Linux side (received from WIFI) to the Arduino side. Have a nice day!

Thanks to both of you. I working on a presentation for ForwardJS in San Francisco in Feb 2015. With a bit of luck, I'll be able to add your information.

Thanks Jesse

What about " The SPI pins are also connected to the AR9331 gpio pins, where it has been implemented in software the SPI interface. This means that the ATMega32u4 and the AR9331 can also communicate using the SPI protocol. "

Isn't SPI faster??

rockeronline00: What about " The SPI pins are also connected to the AR9331 gpio pins, where it has been implemented in software the SPI interface. This means that the ATMega32u4 and the AR9331 can also communicate using the SPI protocol. "

Isn't SPI faster??

SPI can be faster, lots faster. But the key here is the "implemented in software" comment, which makes it sound like its a purely software implementation rather than hardware. If so, it all comes down to how well the software is implemented.

rockeronline00:
What about
"
The SPI pins are also connected to the AR9331 gpio pins, where it has been implemented in software the SPI interface. This means that the ATMega32u4 and the AR9331 can also communicate using the SPI protocol.
"

Isn’t SPI faster??

Yes, SPI is much faster, plus super cleaner than UART port since UART share with kernel console.

However current YunOS’s kernel is 3.3.8 which has SPI driver bug. but since Upstream OS Openwrt’s kernel is already 3.8.3. The waiting would be long I hope.

wtf !! thanks ! I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow

1. delete last line "#ttyATH0::askfirst:/bin/ash --login" from /etc/inittab file on Lilnno
  2. Install pyserial library on Linino
  3. upload this python script: http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~charliep/ecoi/serial/pyserial-2.2/examples/tcp_serial_redirect.py via ssh or ftp on Linino's root
#Usage: tcp_serial_redirect.py [options] [port [baudrate]]
#python tcp_serial_redirect.py -p /dev/ttyATH0 -b 115200 -P 8888
  1. Type your YUN IP address on the browser. In Advanced options make this script runnable at Linino startup