Arduino Yun as a mobile uploader

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and Arduino all together. I bought a Yun from RadioShack cause the one near me is going out of business and they had it marked 75% off. I've been trying to think of different applications to use it in and I thought of one but not really sure if it has been done before - or possible for that matter. I was thinking of using it as a way to wireless upload any data I have (whether it be a USB or microSD) to an FTP site or Dropbox.

For example: I'm going to Europe this summer and plan on bringing my GoPro. Instead of bringing my laptop and/or a ton of microSD cards, it would be nice to just plug the microSD (or USB with an adapter) into the Yun and have it upload all its content to some predetermined site. I'm assuming I'll have to log in to the board with my phone so that it can connect to a WiFi network and then hopefully just push a button to have it run some script and have it perform the upload.

What do you guys think?

75% off :money_mouth_face: That is a good deal. Yes, you can do that, because it is also a linux computer with OpenWRT.

Is using a phone to upload something very expensive ? You can also use it to find an open wifi network. More and more networks in Europe share wifi between users. If you are for example a user of such a network, you can travel anywhere in that country and use a secure wifi login at other users of the network. Also restaurants and hotels and bread & breakfast have often wifi as a service.

When something is not working, it will be hard to find the problem if you don't have a screen or computer connected to the Yun. You should try it at least a few weeks.

You could buy a tablet in Europe. Some 7 inch tablets are only 50 dollars.

Peter_n: 75% off :money_mouth_face: That is a good deal. Yes, you can do that, because it is also a linux computer with OpenWRT.

Is using a phone to upload something very expensive ? You can also use it to find an open wifi network. More and more networks in Europe share wifi between users. If you are for example a user of such a network, you can travel anywhere in that country and use a secure wifi login at other users of the network. Also restaurants and hotels and bread & breakfast have often wifi as a service.

When something is not working, it will be hard to find the problem if you don't have a screen or computer connected to the Yun. You should try it at least a few weeks.

You could buy a tablet in Europe. Some 7 inch tablets are only 50 dollars.

Thanks for the response and glad it is feasible! And yeah I considered my phone but I thought this would be a little nifty device for any kind of media device.

Any idea of where I should start?

Follow the tutorials to upgrade the firmware and the use of the Yun. Try to connect to the yun with the web-interface and the Telnet SSH. Try a few scripts, and try to execute the scripts form the Arduino part of the Yun.

It will take some time to get to know the Yun. It took me three days, but then I was able to run a webcam stream and a webpage controlled by the Arduino part.

Sounds good. I've gotten to the telnet part and have ran a couple sketches through it. I'll see what scripts I can find out there for it. Mind sharing how you got the cam stream to work?

I don't have a Yun, but a Dragino Shield. I think I installed a few usb packets and the mjpg-streamer. This is me trying to get to know it : forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=282201.msg1998651#msg1998651