Arduino YUN broadcast message

how to broadcast message or image usimg wifi in arduino YUN without using internet tell me the possible ways plzz its important

askher:
how to broadcast message or image usimg wifi in arduino YUN without using internet tell me the possible ways plzz its important

@askher,
there are too many ways. What are you trying to do?

Jesse

@Jesse,

I have to send the broadcast message to the mobile phones in that wifi range like emergency alert so i need the help please tell me a easy way to do it .....and whether external antenna can be connected to the arduino YUN board ? , thank you waiting for reply

askher:
I have to send the broadcast message to the mobile phones in that wifi range like emergency alert so i need the help please tell me a easy way to do it

It shouldn't be too difficult to send a broadcast packet out the WiFi from the Linux side of the Yun, and have the sketch trigger the Linux code to do so. But that's getting ahead of things.

The real issue is what software will you be running on the phones to receive that broadcast? That will drive the details of how you send to them. Will you be writing some custom software to run on the phones? Will you be using some existing software package on them?

Or are you aiming to send them a text message that can be received by any phone? If that's the case, your Yun will either need to be connected to the Internet, or it will need to have a cellular interface like a GSM shield. In addition, you will need a list of all of the phone numbers to receive the message - it wouldn't really be a broadcast to everyone in range, but rather a series of directed messages to a known list, whether they are in range or not.

I think the problem statement and design requirements need to be spelled out a bit better before an appropriate solution can be determined. The real key is how the phones will receive this message and what they will do with it.

.....and whether external antenna can be connected to the arduino YUN board ?

There is a connector on the Yun, and quite some discussion about it. It would appear that the connector is used during system testing/calibration, and is not really appropriate as an external antenna connection due to the limited connect/disconnect cycle lifetime (the connector wears out after just a few cycles.) I don't believe anyone has found the proper mating connector for it yet (other than on an expensive piece of test equipment.)

@Jessi

if we use GSM then we have to get their numbers prior and its a tedious process so we like to broadcast image or txt using wifi and we are not aware of those softwares for sending to android mobiles so plzz mention them,Thank you waiting for ur reply

askher:
we are not aware of those softwares for sending to android mobiles so plzz mention them

I'm not aware of any either, but I'm far from an expert in the field.

If I were to attempt this project, I would probably set up the Yun as a WiFi hotspot, and have the phones connect to it. I would then write the application for the phone that would search for the Yun, and when found it would "register" with it so that the Yun knows what phones are in the area. When it it's time to send a message, the server application in the Yun (to which the phones registered) could then walk the list of known nearby phones and send a message.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some software out there that would simplify at least a portion of it. But in wouldn't know where to start looking for it. Maybe start by looking whether there is already something like that for the phones where one phone can broadcast a message to other nearby phones running that app, then figure out whether it's possible to get the Yun to send similar messages?

askher:
@Jessi

if we use GSM then we have to get their numbers prior and its a tedious process so we like to broadcast image or txt using wifi and we are not aware of those softwares for sending to android mobiles so plzz mention them,Thank you waiting for ur reply

@askher,

Okay your request is still too broad. You are asking for a protocol level solution - not a specific solution. You could spend months trying to create a solution, and your customer would NOT BUY.

The NOTES (included) will help you do the reading you need to do.

Lastly, unless you have a specific target, you are going to waste alot of time.

Good Luck,
Jesse

@jessie

hello if we want to set target as 3 mobiles then how to send images to those mobiles using wifi in arduini yun and plz tell us whether any app is there ??????

askher:
@jessie

hello if we want to set target as 3 mobiles then how to send images to those mobiles using wifi in arduini yun and plz tell us whether any app is there ??????

@askher,
your response still too broad. Too many answers available.

One possible answer: User Arduino as a webserver. If you want App on mobile (phone or tablet) you can have one, but not need. Have mobile connect to webpage on Arduino. You do NOT need internet. Arduino Yun will act as AP (access point), but no internet.

I think you need help. Someone that will sit next to you.

Jesse