Arduino Yun -- LabVIEW DAQ

Hello all. This is going to be my first real foray into using Arduino, so I was looking for either some correction or validation for my plan going forward.

Currently we are using National Instruments FieldPoint hardware to collect data from a sensor tree (air velocity and temperature). The hardware is becoming outdated, and we have access to LabVIEW 2015, but the hardware would not work anymore with that upgrade, and upgrading the hardware is very, very expensive.

Because of this, I'm looking at building something myself that would hopefully resist becoming outdated the same way the NI hardware does.

The idea:

Using an Arduino Yun to connect to the wireless network to communicate with LabVIEW via TCP/IP. The Yun would be reading 4-8 analog signals as well as 4-8 digital signals (temperature signals from an RTD-to-digital chip--MAX31865).

Wondering how feasible this is--or if a different Arduino board would serve the purpose better. Ethernet or wireless is required. Seems as if most of the alternatives are USB only without a shield, so going straight for the Yun to use the wifi might be the simplest option.

One of my main concerns is the boot time of the linux portion of the board. Would this unnecessarily complicate turning the arduino on and just having it send a signal to LabVIEW to read as needed?

Thanks for any recommendations you have.

Using an Arduino Yun to connect to the wireless network to communicate with LabVIEW via TCP/IP. The Yun would be reading 4-8 analog signals as well as 4-8 digital signals (temperature signals from an RTD-to-digital chip--MAX31865).

The Yun could go this. There are ways of adding an extra external ADC if you need more than the 6 analog inputs of the Yun.

One of my main concerns is the boot time of the linux portion of the board. Would this unnecessarily complicate turning the arduino on and just having it send a signal to LabVIEW to read as needed?

Why would the restart time be an issue? As the linux side should be driving things how could it be an issue!

Mark

holmes4:
Why would the restart time be an issue? As the linux side should be driving things how could it be an issue!

I don’t know! Haha. I’ve just seen posts mention that there are sort of two parts of the board–one the linux os and one not–and that they can get out of sync booting/rebooting. I just don’t want to end up in a situation where you go to turn the DAQ on and you have to fiddle endlessly with the arduino for it to begin sending signals to LabVIEW. It would need to get up and running pretty consistently to be viable.

Also, doesn't the Yun have 12 analog inputs? 6 straight analog and 6 of the digital can function as analog?