Arduino zero Freeze up on high temperature

Hello everyone i have a small problem. I was running some heat test on the Arduino zero board and ran it up to 75c but when i do that the zero board freezes up. If i hit the reset button it comes back to life when it cools down a little. Not sure what the problem is. I don't know if the crystal is not handling it and the Crystal spec out to handle 85c. So I'm more looking to the Sam21 chip it's self. So i wanted to get some opinions what others think?

P.s.s. I build a heat chamber using a fish tank upside down with some wood and putting a small portable heater in there.

Joseph

ran it up to 75c but when i do that the zero board freezes up

Do you have extremely low air pressure?

Well to be honest i don’t know. There is a little air comes in from the bottom of where the cords come in. But that is all. so it’s not fully pressured.

Could some other component on the board be overheating? What voltage are you powering it with? IIRC that's a 3.3v chip, so if it's being powered by 5v, the regulator should be dissipating some heat. Maybe it's overheating and shutting itself off?

You're kind of asking a lot of the board trying to get it to work at the very top end of the temperature range - the Arduino boards were not designed with an eye towards maximizing the operating temperature range.

Hello DrAzzy it's not powering down. It's just jamming up. I put a Blink LED let it run heat it up and at 73c to 75c it freezes up. I'm using just a normal USB connected to the PC. Un-modded Zero board. It's a original Zero board no clone.

Edit: This is for a outside project that can get very hot up in summer Temperatures. This is why I was testing this out. in a heat chamber. I did look up most parts from Capacitors to the D21 and the Crystal. To make sure i was not pushing it out of it's limit. So something on there is failing. But not Causing a power problem. Because Power is still there 5v and 3.3v I'm monitoring that.

Use an oscilloscope to see if the crystal oscillator is still oscillating.

Paul

Hello Paul thanks for the reply back one thing i don't have is a oscilloscope. Tomorrow i be heading over my friends house i'll use his. thanks for the idea. Will check it out.

Perhaps you can switch to the internal oscillator… would tell if the problem was the external crystal.

Hello JohnRob how can i switch to use the internal crystal and not the external?

Hi,

I've not used the Zero so I was making assumptions that are not accurate. It seems the Zero defaults to 48 MHz. So I'm guessing the internal clock is not an easy option here.

Zero Default oscillator

Hi, Does the Arduino Zero have an operating temperature rating. I went looking and can't find any temperature operating specs.

As there is no ventilation there must be some localised heating. You will need a FLIR or an IR thermometer to look for localised heating.

Is there a reason for you needing the controller to work at that temperature?

Tom... :)

Hello TomGeorge i didn’t think about that To use a FLIT. I do have one but haven’t tried it yet. bought it a week ago but never got around to open it out of it’s package. But i will give it ago. All great points and i will try everyone of them out.

The Zero board it’s self doesn’t have a max temp. But the parts like the SamD21 and Crystal does have a max temperature.

josephchrzempiec: Hello TomGeorge i didn't think about that To use a FLIT. I do have one but haven't tried it yet. bought it a week ago but never got around to open it out of it's package. But i will give it ago. All great points and i will try everyone of them out.

The Zero board it's self doesn't have a max temp. But the parts like the SamD21 and Crystal does have a max temperature.

Read the rest of the temperature statements. They are for reflow soldering and are for just a few seconds.

Paul

Hello I'm sorry for the late reply i totally forgot about this project. I was searching my old post and saw this one. The problem i was having with the temperature crashing the processor was the Resistors i had the wrong ones. instead of 4.7k up to 10k i had 470ohms at the time. But correctly that problem there was no more crashing. Well it wasn't a crashing it was more of a frezzing of the processor. But i wanted to do a update on this post. Thank you all for the help.

Joseph

Hi, Thanks for getting back, where did you have the resistors and what were they for?

Sounds like you had a int value that should have been an unsigned long.

Tom.... :)

I had Resistors on the temperature end and same resistors on the arduino end. Back then i didn't even know that i didn't need them on the Temperature side.