Arduino Zero i/o current

My local supplier says they will be able to get some soon so I reserved one.

But I read here that the dio pins are a mere 7mA each. Is that right? Luckily modern LEDs are well visible at that kind of current but it seems low for other stuff.

And of course a whole mindshift to 3V3.....

Any comments?

Sounds like the IO will need buffering to do much if connecting to other than logic devices.

When I'm home later I'll do a quick test on the current in a servo control line, for example.

Maybe it's not something for the hobbyist like me, more for pro work?

Seems like a board for big software projects.

Yeah I think I'll un-reserve my board and let it go to someone who really needs one.

If by "big software project" you mean something that needs software so much and only needs less than 20 pins worth of hardware, it's probably in the raspberry pi's zip code ;)

These chips are not designed for Arduino systems.

Essentially, they are designed for things like smartphones. Smartphones do not drive LEDs, or servos, or relays. They have a display and audio circuitry.

7mA is rather generous.

Thanks Paul. That makes sense since smartphones may need DACs for sound and most arduino devices don't.

These chips are not designed for Arduino systems.

:D :D

The atmega chips are also not designed to drive relays, light bulbs and meters long strings of LEDs.

The fact somebody hangs a relay on the mcu's pin is a matter of a "technical culture".

Most of modern devices have got something like 3-5mA max output source/sink capabilities and 3.3V or less. You have to live with that or you may stay with an obsolete technology for ever :)

I can't comment on the Zero, but I've not had an issue with most other 3.3V devices driving a LED.

I'm using both STM32 and ESP8266 boards, (using the Arduino IDE) and both 3.3V and both drive LED's without a problem, but you need to use a lower value resistor in series.

However driving lots of LEDs will quickly overload any board that has lots of pins.

There is of course the Due which has 54 GPIO of pins (if pins is what you need).

Other boards that could be used for pro projects include the PIC32, Teensy and STM32

See the SAM D21 datasheet. I/O pins have a drive strength setting, "normal" or "stronger". The stronger setting can source 7mA or sink 10mA assuming a 3.3V supply. The normal setting can source 2mA and sink 2.5mA at 3.3V. (I'm interpreting, since it looks like there is an error, and the normal and strong drive currents have been transposed in Table 35-8. The SAM D20 datasheet looks correct.)

The board is powered by Atmel’s SAMD21 MCU, which features a 32-bit ARM Cortex® M0+ core.

This basically means that you can forget about using a lot of the Arduino libraries which target the AVR platforms. This may or may not trouble you.

Arduino team has split the core into avr and sam so they can make libraries work with more specific core. That's the future. I don't know when it will come.

The Arduino team may well have done that. However there are many, many user-written libraries. That is what I was referring to.