Arduino

Hi,

I’m very new to using the arduino.

I have a potential project I wish to use the Uno board I have, and I am not sure where to start, maybe somebody can help.

We have a double garage, we have two cars which just fit. When I drive my car in to get maximum space I have to avoid a wooden pillar which is a channel for the garage door, hitting it with the side of my car would have disastrous consequences. Can I use the Arduino to indicate the optimum distance to the pillar, to achieve maximum space between cards, which would save me having to squeeze out of my car.

Any help would be warmly received.

A diagram of the set-up would help us to advise you. It doesn't have to be accurate or to scale, just good enough to get an idea of the problem.
At the moment, anything we suggest would just be a guess, wasting both your and our time.

Henry_Best:
A diagram of the set-up would help us to advise you. It doesn't have to be accurate or to scale, just good enough to get an idea of the problem.
At the moment, anything we suggest would just be a guess, wasting both your and our time.

What about one of those UltraSonic ping sensors, could he mount the sensor on the pillar and a christmas tree in front with green, yellow, red indicators?

Chuck.

I suspect this is not an easy problem to solve and you do not seem to have given the logic of the problem much thought.

What do you think a sensor might be used to detect?
Would the sensor be in the car or in the garage ?
How do you envisage the driver interacting with the data from the sensor?
What happens if the car is moving at an angle ?
etc
etc

I assume this is a problem because the pillar in question is on the passenger side of the car and not easily visible to the driver. One solution is to measure the width of the car and put a marker on the driver side of the garage which gives sufficient clearance from the pillar.

...R

They are called "reversing sensors" or similar.

Use Google.

Thanks everybody, I can see this needs more thought. I,m quite interested in the ping sensor. I will measure a safe distance form the post to the passenger side of the car as it travels into the garage, which would then illuminate a LED so I know I,m on target and other LED's that tell I'm not.

if you put on a ping sensor...

get a huge foam finger, like sports fans use.

you can have the resultant distance feed a servo and move the fingers.

but please, use a male figure. there is something not funny when women do that and woman should never do that to a man.

Like this, perhaps

...R

Dixfam:
Thanks everybody, I can see this needs more thought. I,m quite interested in the ping sensor. I will measure a safe distance form the post to the passenger side of the car as it travels into the garage, which would then illuminate a LED so I know I,m on target and other LED's that tell I'm not.

KISS. :o

1. Have a large mirror on the back wall of the garage, angled so that it reflects the position of your car and the post OR
  2. Bolt a length of 2" angle iron along the floor like a track. When you park, run your front tyre against it so that you're guided into the correct position every time. Be sure to remove the sharp corner at the beginning of the track, so that you don't burst your tyre.

Hi,
Hang two tennis balls from the ceiling of your garage, place them wide enough apart that you can drive between them.
Hang another in the garage that hangs down and touches your windscreen when you have driven in far enough.

KISS

Tom... :slight_smile: