ArduinoISP not work with Arduino 1.0

The sketch of arduinoisp does not work with arduino 1.0, maybe this related to the API change of serial library. When loading the sketch with arduino 0.22 works perfectly.

What errors do you get? It compiles perfectly. I don't see any problem.

I have this problem too. I've been using ArduinoISP successfully under Arduino-0022 for several months. However, if I compile and upload ArduinoISP to my Uno using Arduino 1.0 and then try to upload a sketch to my target atmega3280 (using the new "Upload Using programmer" option), then the programming process appears to start, but part way through programming it reports a protocol error (AFAIR is was "received 0x64 expected 0x14" or something similar).

If I compile and upload ArduinoISP to the Uno using Arduino-0022, then I can switch to Arduino 1.0 and use "Upload using programmer" successfully.

The ArduinoISP code appears to be identical between Arduino 0022 and Arduino 1.0. So there must be some incompatible change in the library, or in the way it is being compiled.

Yeah, I ran into this problem as well. Was trying to program some ATTiny85's..

Apparently, you can fix it by increasing the size of the serial buffers in the library, although I've not tried it yet. See http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,82567.msg621739.html#msg621739.

I have an update for the ArduinoISP sketch that works correctly with Arduino 1.0. If you'd like a copy, send me a Personal Message with your email address.

[quote author=Coding Badly link=topic=82011.msg632579#msg632579 date=1324718132] I have an update for the ArduinoISP sketch that works correctly with Arduino 1.0. If you'd like a copy, send me a Personal Message with your email address.[/quote] Why is that? Can't you simply explain it here? Merry Xmas, by the way.

Merry Christmas to you!

I cannot explain the problem or solution because, over the last several months, I have made many changes to the Arduino ISP sketch. I do not know which change(s) allow it to work correctly with Arduino 1.0 and I do not have the time necessary to determine the answer. It is far less time consuming for all involved to run the new version through a beta test and then publish it.

Brian Cook identified this as being due to the use of delay() in the heatbeat() LED-flashing function. Patch attached here, and we're shooting for 1.01 or whatever: http://code.google.com/p/arduino/issues/detail?id=860