Arduinos and Breadboards are delicate; so what do you do?

Hi all

I have been steadily building upon my knowledge of Arduinos and trying different projects. However, over time I'm realizing that it's one thing getting a project to work on a breadboard with messy wiring, and a whole other thing adding a degree of permanence, robustness, and neatness to Arduino projects.

Wiring comes loose, short circuits happen, the wiring looks messy, and breadboards cannot realistically be mounted anywhere. Besides, they have a really short life span anyway.

So, I would love to hear from anyone reading what they do handle this problem. How do you take a project from a breadboard to something that is practical and well-engineered? Do you always get custom PCBs made? Do the Mint tins suffice? How do you handle the wiring?

Case in point is a setup I made for controlling the motors of my car HVAC, along with CAN signals being sent depending on the operation performed. Now, its working fine on a table top, but I don't know how to take it to the next level of actually installing it in the car.

One route is to build prototype with discrete wiring. I prefer wirewrap for that. Others use strip board, veroboard, point to point soldering. If you're confident in the design, go to the next step and have a PCB made.