Arduinos in different sizes

Having had a lot of experience with PIC microcontrollers a while back, I decided to get back into this world. I had heard of Arduino and decided to give it a try. My question is, is a 28-pin really the smallest chip one can work with in the Arduino world? Or is there another brand that is compatible that has, say , 8 pins? It seems a little overkill when all I want to do is blink an LED to pull out a $5, 28 pin chip. Maybe I'm spoiled from PICs, but there was anywhere from 6-pin all the way up to, well, who knows. 256 pins? It seems the vast majority of microcontroller projects would only need 8-14 pins...

Please let me know if I'm missing something..

OK I'll let you know:-
www.youtube.com/watch?v=30rPt802n1k

randomnetzley:
My question is, is a 28-pin really the smallest chip one can work with in the Arduino world? Or is there another brand that is compatible that has, say , 8 pins?

Arduino is a project based on AVR-processors. So comparing the word "Arduino" directly to "PIC" isn't quite right since Arduino doesn't make chips. The Arduino project provides open source library functions, a cross-platform development environment, and a variety of boards based on a few AVR chips.

The currently supported AVR chips are the ATmega8/ATmega168/ATmega328 ("Uno"), ATmega1280/ATmega2560 ("Mega"), and ATmega32u4 ("Leonardo").

Third-party extensions exist to support other AVRs like the ATtiny family with the Arduino libraries.

For 8 pins, there is the ATTiny85. For 14 you have the ATTiny84. The ATtiny2313 has 20 pins, as does the ATTiny861.

They just aren't supported without a different core library - of which one is available.

Forgive my naivete (I really am new to Arduino) what would I have to do if I wanted to use my Arduino Uno R3 board, but wanted to only have 8-pins? For example, if I wanted to use a ATTiny85, could I just put it in a circuit, hook up an ICSP from my Uno, write some code in the (somewhat weird looking :)) Arduino IDE and burn it? Would I need to use a different board? Different IDE.

Please feel free to send me to a tutorial or something. I know I’m asking a lot, but I do truly just want to learn.

Thanks everyone for your help.

OK, I admit, I probably should have watched the video before responding...

Thanks again.