ArduinoToBreadboard BOD Settings

Hi,

currently I am working on a pcb which is running with an Atmega328p. I wanted to make it Arduino compatible, so I burned the bootloader to the MCU. But after trying to upload sketches at 3.3V, I noticed, the controller was not recognized or couldn't communicate. There are some threads and blogs about problems with the brownout settings, but I think the extended fuse byte in boards.txt of "Breadboard Arduino with internal 8MHz" should be changed to 0x06 in order to avoid problems, wenn connecting 3.3V from external supplies. I know, this problem usually happens, because of the load of the whole circuit, anyway, to make programming more robust, this should be changed. I think there are a lot of people like me, which try over and over to find the problem of their circuit just because of this. Also I think this BOD setting makes more sense, considering lots of those Arduino compatible made pcbs are running on batteries. The MCU can work stable down to 2V.

That is a generally poor tutorial. Like the other Arduino to Breadboard one, it omits the necessary 0.1uF decoupling caps between power and ground on either side of the chip - without these the chip may reset unpredictably. People have been correcting them on this for years to no effect. And if they didn't fix THAT, they sure aren't gonna improve the bod settings in the hardware package.

It's also an old-ish one - predates the board manager system, it looks like...

Anyway - the way to do an '328(p) on breadboard or your own custom board is to use https://github.com/MCUdude/MiniCore - can be installed via board manager, supports all the x8 family atmega parts (328p, 328not-p, 328pb, plus the smaller-flash versions of those), and there's a tools submenu to set the BOD voltage (and the clock speed/source, and so on). And it's got bootloaders for all the common speeds (and a lot of less common ones!) pre-built and ready to go