ArduinoWirelessShield and XBee-Pro (10mW,International variant,Series 1)

Hi, when planning to connect an Mega2560 with an ArduinoWireleShield, on which an xbee-pro 10mW shall be mounted, I found on the arduino page for this wirelessShield: "The module can communicate up to 100 feet indoors or 300 feet outdoors (with line-of-sight)."

But the quoted xBee-Module can reach 1 mile or more - and that's what I need.

Can I use the wireless shield for this purpose? What's the reason for the limitation, or has oneone in the description of the shield forgotten that there are stronger xBee-Modules with greater range?

Thanks!

I found on the arduino page for this wirelessShield

They are referring to the non-Pro version.

But the quoted xBee-Module can reach 1 mile or more - and that's what I need.

Good luck with that. One of the biggest problems is that the Pro versions need a lot of current to get that range, and most XBee shields can't provide that much current.

or has oneone in the description of the shield forgotten that there are stronger xBee-Modules with greater range?

Between the fact that most people don't need the higher range, and the fact that the Pro model may not be compatible with the shield (check before you buy that you CAN use the Pro on the shield), it's not unreasonable to have not mentioned the Pro model/range.

Thanks Paul, there seems to be a risk in using this 10mW Modul with the wireless shield.

Isn't there any source where I can get correct information whether the about 130mA the modul needs can be served by using the shield. Or does anyone knows another shield which is able to work with such currents?

Peter

The voltage regulator on that shield is a mc33269st-3.3t3, which, according to the data sheet, can deliver 800 mA. The input comes from the Arduino's 5V pin, via a NCP1117ST50T3G regulator which can deliver deliver more than 1A.

So, theoretically, it should work.

However, the sparkfun shield is a similar design and, at one time at least, it could not power the Pro models at full power. You'd need to check their site, to see if this has been changed and what regulator their board uses.

Thanks Paul, I'll try the arduino wireless shield and will report after having tested.