Ardunino + Code warrior or another debugging softward

I am trying to see what actually going on in the arduino memory. But i am not sure what software works the arduino board. I have used Codewarrior alot to program HCS12 micros. So does anyone know of any software that i can use because the current arduino debugger is not very good

The equivalent of HCS12 CodeWarrior is Atmel's "AVR Studio." It includes a simulator that will let you examine the internal states of your sketch/AVR memory, once you figure out how to find and load the object files produced by the Arduino environment (or how to compile Arduino sketches outside of that environment. Search the archives "Makefile".)

AVRs of some types also have a debugger interface somewhat similar to Freescale's "BDM" (and others have JTAG), but the Arduino HW doesn't really support either of those.

the current arduino debugger is not very good

Is there a current Arduino debugger?

see what actually going on in the arduino memory.

Exactly what do you need to see?

Rob

I want to see when stuff being written to the memory. Basically i want to be able to have a window similar to how code warrior is. Want to be able to set break point in the code when it's running so i can see if data being picked up by external interrupts. things like that

Want to be able to set break point in the code when it's running so i can see if data being picked up by external interrupts.

The code is not running on the PC. It is running on a little microprocessor. How would you propose to set a breakpoint on the Arduino?

In a simulator (like the one provided with AVR Studio), breakpoints are easy; you just allocate more than 16 bits of memory for the program memory and use the extra bits to indicate "breakpoint here" and similar functionality. The "in circuit" debugging of AVR actually inserts BREAK instructions in the flash (and needs to reprogram at least some of the flash each time you insert a breakpoint.) See section 24 of the ATmega328/etc datasheet.

You can get break points on the micro because it's possible to do it with the HCS12 setup and code warrior why not this chip. And i have been running code like that i HCS12 family. You set the break points and when the code excute it halts where ever the had the break point and then you can look in the memory to see what's going on

To do that you will need a programmer/debugger like the JTAG MK2 or Dragon, then run them from AVR Studio.

AVRs have two common debugging methods, JTAG or DebugWire, I think the Mega328 only has DebugWire and the Mega2560 has JTAG. The above programmers can handle both methods.

AFAIK that's the only way to do it.

Rob

Ok thanks i will check up on them thanks