Ardunio Leonardo ETH

Hello,

I just purchased the board for a new project. But just found out that the board is obsolete.
Does anyone knows the reason.
Should I stop using the board and select another.

If so, any idea what would be the best choice. I am using Mega2560 but need to connect
it to the Ethernet. I was going to use the Ardunio Leonardo ETH.

Please help.

Hello,

I just purchased the board for a new project. But just found out that the board is obsolete.
Does anyone knows the reason.
Should I stop using the board and select another.

If so, any idea what would be the best choice. I am using Mega2560 but need to connect
it to the Ethernet. I was going to use the Ardunio Leonardo ETH.

Please help.

You can use the board, there is nothing wrong with it. It has common chips.
Instead of an Arduino board with an Ethernet Shield, this board has the Ethernet Shield included.

The W5500 chip is used for Ethernet. The Ethernet 2 library is for the W5500 chip: Arduino - Ethernet

Hello,

My concern is that I may not be able to buy it again. We like to include it in our
product. We will make more of our product and like to use it for the next 5 years or so.

If we can not purchase it anymore, then can we copy the design and build our own.
Is that LEGAL.

Furthermore, Are all the chips used still in production. That is the main reason for my
question that why Arduino stopped manufacturing the board.

Thanks

The Leonardo uses the ATmega32U4 which is a very common chip.
The W5500 is also a up-to-date and a common chip.

The Leonardo ETH is the same as a Leonardo board with the Ethernet 2 Shield.
You can also attach the Ethernet 2 shield to a Arduino Mega 2560 board.

In the next 5 years, the Arduino Mega 2560 and the Arduino Leonardo will be used less. The Arduino**.cc** already stopped selling the Leonardo, but when Arduino**.org** and Arduino**.cc** got together again, the Arduino Leonardo popped up again.
The newer boards use a ARM Cortex processor.
I suppose that the Ethernet Shield with the W5500 will be used for a number of years. That shield can also be used with the newer boards.

The schematics and software is open source. You may make your own board. You may even sell your own board. But you may not write "Arduino" on your board. The name "Arduino" is protected.
This clone is legal, they don't claim it is an Arduino board but they say that it is "Arduino compatible" and they don't write the name "Arduino" on the board: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Leonardo-ETH-with-PoE-Leonardo-Ethernet-W5500-Micro-SD-card-reader-writer-with-PoE-compatible-for/32833733350.html

Adafruit has the Feather series. With those you can have a Feather ATmega32U4 with a Ethernet W5500 FeatherWing as well. It is almost the same combination, the only difference is that the ATmega32U4 runs at 8MHz instead of 16MHz.

Obsolete probably means it is no longer manufactured. If it is working properly I see no reason not to keep using it.

Post a link to the datasheet for the board you are concerned about.

...R

@bahram, do not cross-post. Threads merged.

Thank You.

I just used the small connector on the board and connected it to my computer USB board.
The LED next to the small connector started blinking and the one next to it is solid ON.

I also connected the board to a router. I now have 2 yellow LEDs next to the RJ45 connector on
and green LED on and one Green LED blinking.

Is that all the connection I need to use an example. What would be a good example to use.

I just like to send a text from my computer Ethernet port to the board and have it to turn on an LED or any digital Bit.

I also like to send a text from the Ardunio Leonardo ETH board to my computer and read it from the
computer using the Ethernet connection.

Is there any examples out there that I can use?
Do I need to configure anything else.

I have used the MEGA2560 and I love it. But never dealt with one with the Ethernet port.

Thank You for you time

Examples are here: Arduino - Ethernet.

For sending data between two Arduino boards, you can use UDP. You can find an example in the UDP.write() reference.
With UDP there is no guarantee that it was actually received.

The TCP/IP is used for webpages, that is a higher level and then you can be sure that something has arrived.

Sending data to a webserver requires knowledge of internet communication and websites.
Sending data with MQTT is easier, but you might have to setup your own MQTT server. Perhaps on a Raspberry Pi.
My website hoster has a very large list of packages for a website, but not MQTT.

The Arduino Leonardo with Ethernet can not do a lot, because the memory will be filled quickly with the Ethernet library. You have to select what is needed for the job, and try not to add every fancy thing that is possible.
This is a good webserver sketch: Arduino Playground - WebServerST.
That is a webpage running on the Leonardo. With a browser you can see data from the Leonardo and perhaps click on something.

Hello,

I tried one of these examples but the program fails. It gives me an error message that says
the Leonardo ETH can not be found on COM1.

I am using one of the USB ports to connect to the board. I am using Windows XP, so I manually
installed Ardunio Leonardo ETH as the USB. It defaulted to COM4. And I pointed to the Ardunio
directory for the driver. It found one and installed it.

But in the Windows XP device manager shows a yellow mark on it which means the driver is not good.

Also when I load any of the examples, on the bottom right corner of the screen shows that the
"Ardunio Leornardo ETH on COM1".

So my question is
1- Where can I find the driver.
2- How can I change the Ardunio setup to look for the board at COM4 instead of COM1.

COM1 is used for another hardware device.

Thanks

Can you try to find drivers for the Leonardo for Windows XP ? I didn't know that Windows XP is still used.
When you install the Arduino IDE, all the drivers are installed as well.
The bootloader and driver for the Leonardo with the ATmega32U4 microcontroller have been changed and improved. Perhaps it is no longer compatible with Windows XP.

Could this help ? https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/DriverInstallation
Perhaps you can get an old driver from a zip file here: Arduino - OldSoftwareReleases

The bottom-right corner shows what you have selected. It is not what the Arduino IDE has found.
You have to select the board and the COM port, that is not automatically (allthough the Arduino IDE tries sometimes to do it automatically).

I have an old computer as well, but I use the newest Ubuntu linux.

Hello,

The installation routine your Link shows is exactly what I did. And it found a driver and installed it.

But once finished, if you look at the Leonardo ETH in the DEVICE MANAGER menu, it shows a yellow
mark on it which means the driver might not be good. May be it is good but windows does not
like it since it is not approved by them.

You mentioned that I use the COM port to be used.

I only selected the board which is Ardunio Leonardo ETH in the Ardunio software.
Is there a configuration setup somewhere that I have missed.

Thanks

Bobby

In the “Tools” menu you have to select the “Board:”, and below that the “Port:”.

Are the old driver of Arduino 1.0.x and the new driver of Arduino 1.8.5 both not working ? Then I don’t know what to do.

Hello,

In the tool Menu, the selection for the PORT is grayed out.

I can not change it or select it at all.

Thanks

Then the Arduino IDE does not detect a serial port.
I don't know what you should do :frowning: Windows XP is very old.

Koepel:
I don't know what you should do...

I'm sorry but I couldn't help it. I had no control. My fingers automatically typed "use Linux". I'll punish them later...