Are 2 or coreless motors enough to make an rc aircraft?

Hello, newbie here! :)

I would like to make an RC plane with coreless motors. I know that brushless are the best at this, but I am a beginner and I don't feel like spending money on brushless motors and ESC.

If I were to use 2 coreless motors, would it be enough? How would you build the plane? Also, what prop should I choose? But if I use 4 coreless motors?

For motors: https://www.optimusdigital.ro/cautare?search_query=coreless&submit_search=&orderby=price&orderway=asc&orderway=asc

For prop: https://www.optimusdigital.ro/282-elice

If you want to know more about what components I want to use, just ask.

Planes need a lot less power than hovering craft so yes I think it would be possible. And of course propellers are more efficient in forward flight than hovering. Use the props that come with the small quadcopters that use coreless slotless motors (such as the Hubsan). Get spare props, you will break them!

Those are very small low power motors. I have made indoor RC aircraft using them but e.g. 2 of the 6mm motors might have enough power to fly a plane weighing about 100gm, maybe 400mm wingspan. They also work a lot better with gearboxes. Used direct drive they need very small props which are inefficient.

For that size you would need very small, lightweight RC gear (expensive). They are probably far too small to carry an Arduino.

Steve

Grizzlly: I would like to make an RC plane with coreless motors.

The logic of that is backwards.

First choose a design for a plane and then get the appropriate motors.

How would you build the plane? Also, what prop should I choose?

Questions like these should be asked on a model flying forum - not a computer programming forum.

...R

slipstick: Those are very small low power motors.

They take upto 2A at 3.7V, thats ~7W, I hardly call that low power for something smaller than a peanut! The power/weight ratio is pretty high.

But yes, only suitable for tiny craft, similar scale to the Hubsan quadcopters basically. I was imagining small LiPo and ProMini fixed to a paper aeroplane basically.

BTW the Hubsan X4 which uses 4 such motors has a mass of 50g, so each motor can produce thrust of over 0.12N (12.5gf).

MarkT: They take upto 2A at 3.7V, thats ~7W, I hardly call that low power for something smaller than a peanut! The power/weight ratio is pretty high.

You're right but of course I meant low powered in the context of RC aircraft. Most of mine use 80W-400W and I don't have any big models by modern standards :).

Just setting expectations, that's all.

Steve