Are clone boards reliable?

I am referring to this: http://www.earthshineelectronics.com/14-arduino-duemilanove-roboduino.html

Does anyone have any experience with it? Any problems? Would a beginner have trouble? Would it just be a better idea to get the normal duemillanove?

The Earthshine people are regular contributors to the forum. They have a great how-to guide. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one of there boards.

I bought my first board made in Italy. I still use it and once I get my demo or project working with it, I make my own pcb with bootloader and put it into the final project.

I have a couple of ethernet shields of the same make (Drobot), no hesitation in recommending them. On the other hand its a good idea to buy a real one to support the development team. Be wary of people passing off clones as the real thing (anything without mention of clone or compatible on Ebay for starters). I've no issue with clones sold as clones.

There are not normally any problems with clone boards from suppliers such as that. Where you want to watch out is if you are thinking of buying a fake board arduino copy off ebay. They often look the same in the image and are cheaper but often of inferior quality to the official arduino boards made in italy.

Other arduino compatible boards: http://www.duinoaday.co.uk/hardware.html

Mowcius

I've got one of the Earthshine boards, it's fine.

The Arduino Pro that Sparkfun sells says the switch is fragile. The board has Sparkfun's name on it so I'm assuming it isn't reflective of all Arduino products.

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9219

It is made by sparkfun. They do say that the switch it fragile. The switch is not made by sparkfun so there is nothing they can do about it...

Mowcius

It is made by sparkfun. They do say that the switch it fragile.

A comment posted on the product page says that the switch is fragile. The same comment poster managed to break several other pieces, too. I'd take that "fragile" comment with a grain of salt.

The SparkFun folks admit the switch is fragile in the product description.

I guess I missed that.

The SparkFun folks admit the switch is fragile in the product description.

If I were buying that item, I would remove the switch and bridge the connection closed. I am not even sure what the point is; put the switch on the power source instead, where you can use a stronger switch, or make the power source easily unpluggable (I realize the connector they use isn't quickly unpluggable). Those SMT switches are fragile in any situation; they aren't really meant for frequent use.

So, are you guys for it? Should I buy the earthshine board?

Buy the real board raither a 328 or the mega

I have two relatively recent genuine boards, a couple of Freeduinos, and a mega clone I bought from Earthshine. I didn't want to pay the difference in price between a "real" Arduino and a clone, since I have an electronics habit to support. Build quality on that board is just as good as the others, IMO, as I have a minor niggle with one of the Freeduino boards, which had misaligned headers, the power and analog didn't line up correctly (by about 15 degrees), but that's what a soldering iron is for...

I've been looking at that. I've bought a few things from earthshine and they've all been sound.

I have a geniune arduino but for cost reasons the next one I buy will be that one.

I'd go for it if I were you.

I'm guessing that these on fleebay 140409639615 aren't the genuine ones? Are they any good? The price seems very tempting for me to get hold of my first board to play with.

I have two relatively recent genuine boards, a couple of Freeduinos, and a mega clone I bought from Earthshine. I didn't want to pay the difference in price between a "real" Arduino and a clone, since I have an electronics habit to support. Build quality on that board is just as good as the others, IMO, as I have a minor niggle with one of the Freeduino boards, which had misaligned headers, the power and analog didn't line up correctly (by about 15 degrees), but that's what a soldering iron is for...

Interestingly my genuine Arduino from coolcomponents has the same issue with the misaligned headers. It's only slight so I hope it won't cause an issue if I choose to buy a shield.

I've never seen a real Arduino on Ebay, they are all clones (sold as clones) or knock-offs in my experience

I've never seen a real Arduino on Ebay, they are all clones (sold as clones) or knock-offs in my experience

Unless they are second hand then I would pretty much agree with that view.

I do love ebay though :) 16x2 LCD for £3 shipped...

Mowcius