Are red displays slower than others?

I have been using green 20x4 displays for some time now, but my recent project required a red display. There is one problem though - it is HUGELY slow..

This is the display: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250628556092&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123

is it normal that the red ones are so much slower? or have I just recieved a faulty display?

That is a good question but unless someone has used tons of displays, it's hard to answer. I'm trying to answer this myself as well.

From my experience: Green displays used 11, all fast Blue displays used 22, all slow Red displays used 1 slow (observed it only)

I guess from my limited experience (number is large but they all are identical model displays), non-green displays are slow sluggish. I suspect someone made a bad batch of liquid crystals just like the capacitor plague. Can anyone else list their experience? We can answer this question with statistics! :D

PS. as a liquid crystal physicist, I can say for sure the color of back light LED should not affect the response of the liquid crystal panel. The voltage across the panel and operating temperature or liquid crystal mixture determine how fast the display can switch. I'm not an expert of the chips that control the panels but it is possible that the chips are themselves slow on the slow displays.

I was wondering also. I have just completed a digital setting circle project using the 16x2Red LCD from Sparkfun. Using a 4-bit library, the display did appear sluggish and the contrast is really sensitive. When I would unplug it and put in a black on green or white on blue LCD, the characters changed more smoothly. I ended up using a serial back pack (had to free up some pins) and the Red LCD does respond much better now, but still slower than the other LCDS I have used.

I'll try to post some video - it is REALLY slow...

it is about 5 dec celcius right now, and that does make it slower, but it is extremely slow..

Do you have a datasheet ? (if there is one) Do you apply proper voltage?

My experience Green (serial) faster than Blue (I2C)

can it be an optical effect, that the human eye takes longer to see it, or that red lights are not so bright ?

I guess green seems better. I'm sticking to green just cause stats. says so. My blue was from adafruit. It's weird white on blue background. If you adjust contrast differently, the characters are grey. Anyway, it's slow. My surplus store displays are even better.

Yes, at low temperature liquid crystals are more sluggish and you need higher voltage to get the same switching speed.

I'm getting 10 green displays, just in case my phi-2 shield comes out and I start trading old cpus with phi-2 PCB or kits again!

Ok here is some video.

Ambient temperature is about 15 deg celcius.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXZu49-TSxs

Notice how slowly the "old" characters disappear, and also note the artifacts :/

Faulty display?

Maybe, if you brought the temperature up to 30DegC, will it switch better? Some displays are made for high temp applications. The spec sheet should say the temp range.

-20 to +70...

it is just painfully slow compared to my green ones..

Slow but nicely, I think if you wanted to buy such an effect you had to pay a lot ... Does the display get hot?

Hello i see You have problems with slowing lcd. That Be problem with type of LCD STN. If You need highest speed (lowest time changing response) You must use LCD type of FSTN.

And i don't know what lcd this Ebay seller sell but i know he thieving my image from my auction. This image be from Orange characters on dark brown Background i Sell and Produce LCD from 5 Years and if You need better lcd please found my auctions Ebay auction number : 170459060245

Regards John