Are there Languages/Libraries for robots?

Are there specialized languages or libraries for robot programming? I'm thinking of something that would have you describe the robot's sensors and actuators then command behaviours like obstacle avoidance, line or wall following or whatever.

it's fun to write c code but i do feel like i'm reinventing the wheel.

Have a look here

I'm not sure if this is generic or just for the Axon boards though.

Rob

You can use ROS as an operating system in a robot with a computer inside, openCv for image processing, but the rest you must code in C/C++ or your desired language, because every robot is a robot and its impossible to cover all the possible combinations, even the simple act of having a device driver for every distance sensor in the world is impossible to be mantained, then if someone just use an home made H bridge everything goes wrong.

Are there specialized languages or libraries for robot programming? I'm thinking of something that would have you describe the robot's sensors and actuators then command behaviours like obstacle avoidance, line or wall following or whatever.

it's fun to write c code but i do feel like i'm reinventing the wheel.

Not in a "general purpose" sort of way, no. There have been specialized languages created for individual robots, including commercial ones (mainly industrial robot arms).

There are also the various "languages" for tool control in CNC (but that isn't what you are looking for). There are also a few robot simulation toolkits out there that each have their own specialized languages; I know of two that are licenses software (and neither is cheap; one almost gave me a heart attack when I saw the price), and one that is open-source (but I am not sure how up-to-date it is, or whether it is maintained).

Finally - back in the day, LOGO combined with a "turtle" robot could be considered a very primitive robot control language...

There is the LabView stuff used (often) for the First Robotics Competitions ( http://zone.ni.com/wv/app/doc/p/id/wv-1729/nextonly/y )
Note that this runs on a much beefier system than an Arduino; I don't know whether it would be practical to move even some of the concepts over...

Finally - back in the day, LOGO combined with a "turtle" robot could be considered a very primitive robot control language...

I guess that's the kind of thing I was thinking of but oriented toward autonomous bots.

oh well, back to coding.

If you're going to have to build the sketch from scratch here are a couple of good projects for inspiration. Between them you can quickly put together an obstacle avoiding, GPS based robot. The follower code is pretty cool too.

http://makezine.com/19/makey/

Thanks - I like makey and the other has some good ideas too.