are there ready arduino mega 2560 kicad files out there ?

I am finished with project and i would like to create my first PCB that includes the complete arduino 2560 on it.
At the moment everything is a bunch of wires ( pasta like :D) and I would like to make my project as small as possible, but I have no idea about electronics and my biggest problem in to the most of the pcb creation software that I find is how to declare a component ( type of resistor, type of capacitor, type of grounds ect. ).

So I am asking if there is a ready made file of arduino mega 2560, so I can work on the sch file of and the import it to an auto-route software and create my first ever PCB and be sure that at least the arduino mega schematic is correct if I find any kind of problems later on.

http://smisioto.no-ip.org/elettronica/kicad/kicad-en.htm
A site with A LOT of great symbols and footprints.

But uhm, please don't use auto routing. It's terrible...

Yeay, you have to spend some time to learn making PCB's. Nothing's free or easy :wink:

How do you plan to solder the components to the board?

Had a similar issue some time ago using a nano on a pcb, which I wanted to create with KiCad.
The workaround is:
a) design a schematic for the Mega - here you are free for the shape (just use ALL the pins that a Mega has and assign either Input/Output/GND/VCC functions to each pin)
b) in the overall schematics with the peripherals assign an "x" within KiCad to unused pins to avoid error messages when the electrical rule checker has run
c) you need to design a footprint with exact measures for the Mega

After that you can go on with the pcb design.

If this is too much effort - ask the KiCad forum if somebody made already these steps for a Mega.
On the other side: there is a great learning effect doing it on your own :wink:

You could download the free version of Eagle.
And the Eagle files from this site.
Eagle is a steeper learning curve, but well worth it.
Leo..

rpt007:
If this is too much effort - ask the KiCad forum if somebody made already these steps for a Mega.

They are already in the link I posted :smiley:

rpt007:
On the other side: there is a great learning effect doing it on your own :wink:

Totally agree! KiCAD is great but making a PCB is an art. If you want a nice PCB don’t expect it to automagically be there in a hour.

@septillion:
thanks for the information; I know this source, but I had forgotten that a mega had already been included.

@Wawa:
I swapped from Eagle to KiCad, because the following 2 limits were not applicable to my current projects
a) free version of Eagle is only or non-profit use
b) limited to a maximum size of 100 x 80mm (3.94 x 3.15in)

Although I might never be forced to use that option:
KiCad goes up to 32 layers - "free Eagle" is limited to 2 layers.

For the actual Arduino MEGA itself, I have made a KiCad version at

Prof_Mayhem:
For the actual Arduino MEGA itself, I have made a KiCad version at

GitHub - YoyodyneMonkeyWorks/KiCad: KiCad Projects

Thank you very much man, you made may work very easy. Thanks a lot.