Are these parts everything I need for my RC car project?

So I’ve done basic Arduino projects with LEDs, buttons, toggle switches, and speakers and I have an Arduino which came with a smaller version of the Arduino starter kit. (A few buttons, a breadboard, jumper cables, Arduino Uno, LEDs, a speaker, a servo motor, and a few other parts) I wanted to start doing more advanced projects, and I thought I would start with a RC car project. My idea is to buy a $20-30 toy RC car, take it apart, and add an Arduino + breadboard as well as some other components. I’d like my car to both send and receive infrared signals so I can control it from my phone or with a TV remote, and when I stop controlling it, I want it to wait 10 seconds before starting to move around on its own, and either go towards or run away from heat sources up to a certain temperature depending on which mode I set it to. To accomplish this, I’ll be using the following:

• LTE-5208 Infrared Emitter + LTR-3208E Infrared Transistor
  • 2 x HC-SR04 Ultrasonic Sensors
  • KSM-803 37.9 KHz infrared reciever
  • 8 x AA rechargeable batteries I already have + a 8 x AA battery holder
  • The TMP36G Temperature Sensor
  • Capacitors
  • Jumper Cables
  • Resistors
  • An Arduino Uno
  • A Toy RC Car

Do I need anything else, and is this project accomplish-able with a single Arduino?

If you are new to the Arduino system (and I assume from your question that you are) then I would recommend NOT trying to make a complete list of parts at this stage. As you learn your ideas are likely to change.

Break your learning into small parts - for example write a program to work with the ultrasonic sensors and another one to work with IR etc. When you can do all of the parts separately it will be time to bring them together.

Is there some particular reason why you want to use IR? If there is, this IR Thread may be useful.

Personally I would use a pair of nRF24L01+ 2.4GHz wireless transceivers for communication. They will be much more versatile than IR. This Simple nRF24L01+ Tutorial may be useful. The second example is a simple way to have 2-way communication and I use it for my model trains.

You may also find some ideas in Planning and Implementing a Program

...R

Robin2:
If you are new to the Arduino system (and I assume from your question that you are) then I would recommend NOT trying to make a complete list of parts at this stage. As you learn your ideas are likely to change.

Break your learning into small parts - for example write a program to work with the ultrasonic sensors and another one to work with IR etc. When you can do all of the parts separately it will be time to bring them together.

Is there some particular reason why you want to use IR? If there is, this IR Thread may be useful.

Personally I would use a pair of nRF24L01+ 2.4GHz wireless transceivers for communication. They will be much more versatile than IR. This Simple nRF24L01+ Tutorial may be useful. The second example is a simple way to have 2-way communication and I use it for my model trains.

You may also find some ideas in Planning and Implementing a Program

...R

In Canada those seem to be very expensive at my local store or on Amazon.ca compared to infrared ($10 each) so that's not really an option unless IR has issues at a range of about 20m.

I get the nRF24L01+ devices for about £2 each.

I suspect 20m would be a long range for IR - especially if it has to compete with sunlight - but I have no direct experience. I have only tried it within a room.

...R

Robin2:
I get the nRF24L01+ devices for about £2 each.

I suspect 20m would be a long range for IR - especially if it has to compete with sunlight - but I have no direct experience. I have only tried it within a room.

...R

They're $10 each at my local store and on Canadian Amazon unfortunately. I'm only using the car indoors, so sunlight isn't too big of an issue.

Set up a simple IR test and see what happens - it may be fine.

...R