Art Installation involving motion-activated sound

Hello,

I'm currently working on a sound art installation for my final show at university and I was wondering whether anyone could give me some advice on if the Uno could fulfil what I need for the piece.

The particular aspect of the piece involves a number of directional speakers situated around a space that I want to be motion activated. Is there a way for me to achieve this with an Arduino device or would I need a separate unit for each speaker?

Ideally I'd like 3 or 4 potential tracks for each speaker (of which there will probably be half a dozen) that could be randomly played as someone gets within range. If anybody could let me know of the feasibility of this with an Arduino unit and some help with the technical aspect and programming, I'd be really grateful!

could somebody perhaps build upon this?

Is there a way of constructing that with multiple speakers and samples and then motion-triggering each one, or would I need to replicate that set up for each speaker unit I want to use?

Yes it's doable. Try building the project you linked - it's a good start. Then identify what you want to use for motion detectors. Passive IR detectors are pretty common, so that's what I would try first. When motion is detected (and you could have 4 detectors, and 4 zones all on the same device), then play the sound.