ART PROJECT : audioplaying PAUZES after playing soundfile waiting for button

For an art project i would like to use the arduino uno. Of course it has to be cheap but reliable.

An actor will have a conversation with a black box (scripted) and by pushing a remote button (RF) the soundfile belonging to that particular script has to be played from a MP3 player whereafter the arduino 'orders' the MP3 player into PAUZE after the audiofile has played. The arduino is used as link between the receiver and the MP3 player and other equipment in the black box.

I know how to basicly program the arduino, but how to make the arduino 'press the pauzebutton' after the audiofile has sounded...

It could be timelinebased, but simply change or update an audiofile would require programming.
It could be through a remote switch, but than the actor has to start AND to stop the MP3player, not really a option.
Then there would be tho option to use a mono-audiochannel for the soundfile and the other audiochannel programmed with a tone to 'push the pauzebutton' ...

Are there other, simple solutions to tackle this problem?

I know how to basicly program the arduino, but how to make the arduino ‘press the pauzebutton’ after the audiofile has sounded…

What “pauze” button? What mp3 player are you using? Most audio players play the sound track when told to, and then do nothing until told something else. Why does yours need to be told to shut up?

DainBramage:
Are there other, simple solutions to tackle this problem?

You would have better possibilities to control MP3 playing if you'd not use a "MP3 player with buttons", but a "MP3 player module" that is made for controlling it by a microcontroller.

Such like the WT5001M02-28P module.

If I understand you right, I'd also suggest that you think about recording the box's replies as seperate soundfiles that each play as commanded, rather than one long file that has to be started and stopped.

--Michael

To make this work with an mp3-player-with-buttons, you'd want to break open the MP3 player. Disconnect one side of battery and put tape over the exposed wire so you don't trash the battery on accident. Remove keypad and you'll (hopefully) find some exposed traces (often gold plated) under the each button. with multimeter in continuity test mode, try to find what the two traces under the button go to.

If you're lucky, one of the traces will go to the negative side of the battery, and you can just use a small n-channel fet to "push" the button by connecting drain to the other trace under the button, source to ground (ie, negative side of battery), gate to arduino output pin, 10k resistor between gate and ground, and arduino ground to mp3-player ground.

If the buttons are done some other way, you'd need a different approach to electronically "pushing" them.

Ya - as others have said, it's a lot easier if you have an mp3-player board that you don't have to reverse engineer. But crap mp3 players with buttons on them are obtanium (don't have one? Just ask your friends if they have an old mp3 player they don't want, and you will).