Artificial respiration’s piston vs peristaltic pump for medical training

New challenge! We are working to create artificial respirations in a medical mannequin. Think rise and fall of the chest. Ideally ide like to have actual “lungs” that inflate by the movement of air, but it could also be just simulated rise and fall of the “chest wall” (which is actually a plastic chest piece worn by the mannequin and covered with artificial skin).
I was debating using a small double acting cylinder attached to the chest wall, vs a peristaltic pump attached to 2 plastic bags that could inflate and deflate with air (still trying to figure out the deflation of the lungs with a peristaltic pump).
Any feedback or better ideas of which you think would be better? All will be Bluetooth enabled and controlled via an app.

This seems to be more of a biomechanical problem than an Arduino problem

Hperry479:
New challenge!

Does that mean you completed the pulse challenge?

I have to wonder why you're doing these projects. I know from the 4 paramedics in my family that these devices are hugely costly, so are you looking for more affordable solutions?

Pulse challenge has been solved with the coin vibrator and 12v battery and the app is being built (my coding skills just aren’t good enough but luckily I was able to get some help). To answer the question as to why: high fidelity training mannequins do exist. But they’re insanely expensive. Like $10k and up. I help run a non- profit that does emergency and trauma medicine in high risk areas. We also do a lot of teaching and these mannequins would be a huge resource for helping us teach trauma skills like needle decompression or tourniquet placement.

So lungs is really my last problem to solve. I’m a nurse practitioner and trauma instructor and I also love learning new things so Arduino seemed like a great solution to my problem. High tech for low cost. You can check out our group - www.global-Response.org

Can’t say I know how the commercial versions work, but a peristaltic pump just isn’t going to cut it - you need serious volume, like up to a litre at a time (maximum likely TV).

I think you want a large servo or just gearmotor and levers.

Pity you can’t just come to an arrangement with a local medical facility. :roll_eyes:

Indeed not very much an Arduino question, but anyway, here my suggestion for a possible approach.
How about using compressed air (external compressor or simply a tank of compressed air, like a scuba tank, to cut down on the noise while training).
To inflate, open one valve. Use a pressure sensor inside the lungs to tell you when it's inflated enough: pressure goes up as more air is pushed in.
Open another valve to deflate. Probably needs to be pretty big to let out the air fast enough; use springs to pull the chest back down helping to squeeze the air out. You may even expel this air through the nose, to be closer to reality (I remember feeling air flow coming out of the nose is a good way to tell whether the patient is breathing).
Some kind of rubber bladder for the lungs themselves, pushing against the inside of the dummy and making its chest move.
You will want valves that can be opened partly, but still do so fast, rather than a simple on/off solenoid valve, so you can control how fast the patient breaths. The pressure sensor allows you to control the quantity of the air breathed.
And agreed, peristaltic pumps won't do. They're for dispensing milliliters per minute of liquids (but should also work just fine for gases - I have no problem pulling up liquids when the tube is filled with air), not liters per second of air like you need for breathing.