Arudino surveillance robot - Exam project.

Hello people. Me and my classmate are in our exam project, going to construct and program an surveillance robot/car using an arduino uno. We want to make the robot drive around the room and using an ultrasonic sensor we will make it turn random, when meeting an obstacle. The robot should take JPEG pictures in an time interval, and send it to a local, or public website, and save it there.

Now we have a few questions. What is the best/cheapest WIFI Shield/module? Which camera would you recommend? Is an storage devise on the arduino required, when the image only need to be saved on the web-server?

Are there anything else we should consider?

Hope you guys can help us!

The basic concept of a robot with obstacle avoidance is one that has been solved many times and you should have no trouble finding working examples. For the camera part I suggest you just use a wireless webcam and use an application on a PC to grab images from it and post to your web site - there are plenty of apps available to do that sort of thing. The camera would have nothing to do with the Arduino except that it happens to be mounted on the 'bot.

This project is far to easy for an "exam" project for 1 person let alone a group!.

Mark

This project is far to[sic] easy for an "exam" project

*too

Well that's a bit too general a statement Mark, seeing as the OP didn't say what level of study he and his classmates are at...

When you say....

construct .... an surveillance robot/car

.... do you mean make the vehicle from scratch like with Meccano or something, or are you allowed to buy and build one of the many kits around? Pololu, for instance, have a variety of chassis in different sizes and configs. They also have an impressive range of motor driver boards and voltage regulators and stuff.

It's not clear from your post how Arduino savvy you are... if that is low, it would be strongly recommended that you work through at least some of the basic tutorials on this very site or on others like Adafruit.

holmes4: This project is far to easy for an "exam" project for 1 person let alone a group!.

Mark

The project is accepted by the educator, and it is at the right difficulty level.

PeterH: For the camera part I suggest you just use a wireless webcam and use an application on a PC to grab images from it and post to your web site.

The bot should be able to send the pictures to the server, without the need of anything else, that a WIFI router and the robot itself. But, otherwise an great solution!

JimboZA: .... do you mean make the vehicle from scratch

We are most likely going to buy a Tamiya set of belts, like this: http://www.let-elektronik.dk/tamiya-70100-track-and-wheel-set.html And the motors and gears required, like this: http://www.let-elektronik.dk/tamiya-70097-twin-motor-gearbox-kit.html

Based on these, we are going to construct the chassis in a 3D printer.

We are going to make our own motor control, using breadboard, or making our own board.

We have a few months of experience in Arduino programming, before that both me and my friend have several years of programming experience, in web languages. We have used the basic Ardunio tutorials, and will make sure to take a look on the other site you linked, thanks!

So, for now, the motor, movement and programming is covered.

The things we don't know about is: The best/cheapest Arduino Wifi connection, possibilities. Which "cheap" camera should we use. Do we need an internal storage on the robot, or can we send the image, without saving it to the Arduino. And maybe, the best way to control a dc motor, without an shield.

Based on these, we are going to construct the chassis in a 3D printer.

I will watch that development with interest..

holmes4: This project is far to easy for an "exam" project for 1 person let alone a group!.

Mark

If this is a senior college project, I tend to agree. Of course the school year is more than half over already. On the other hand, the fact that they will be making circuitry with real electrons flowing thru it puts them ahead of the game when far too many graduates have only simulated circuits and never even held a soldering iron.

The best/cheapest Arduino Wifi connection, possibilities.

There are basically three options -Connect the arduino via ethernet to a wifi router and setup the router to connect to your wifi. -Get a wifi shield -Connect your arduino to a raspberry pi and have the raspberry pi use a wifi dongle

Which "cheap" camera should we use.

You can either use an IP camera, or if you go the route of the raspberry pi you can use a webcam. Note that the arduino is not going to be able to capture or process video. Something else will have to handle the video for the arduino.

And maybe, the best way to control a dc motor, without an shield.

If you are building your own motor control you'll end up using an h-bridge. Search google for arduino h-bridge and you should find what you need.

And maybe, the best way to control a dc motor, without an shield.

Probably the simplest is a transistor on a PWM pin to control the speed, and a DPDT relay (with buffer transistor) to control direction. Probably more bulk than an H-bridge, but easier to debug.

Which "cheap" camera should we use.

You can either use an IP camera, or if you go the route of the raspberry pi you can use a webcam. Note that the arduino is not going to be able to capture or process video. Something else will have to handle the video for the arduino.

We know, that the Arduino cannot handle video like that, therefore we are going to use some kind of JPEG, camera, and take images with a certain interval. We also know that the camera have to process the images to JPEG, before sending it to the arduino. But, do we need an storage unit, like an SD cart, to save the images on, before sending it?