Aruduino as DMX Fixture

Hello all!

I am currently working on a project that requires a Pixel Strip (Adafruit NeoPixel Digital RGB LED Strip - Black 30 LED [BLACK] : ID 1460 : $84.75 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits
) to be inserted into a DMX chain and was wondering about the feasibility of using an Arduino as a solution. Now, there are libraries for controlling the strip itself, that really isn't the problem. Right now, the bigger problem is how to get the Arduino to act as normal lighting fixture.
Ideally, I would like to use this DMX shield to receive input from a DMX cable, use the channels it needs, and then send the information along again; I want it to to act as normal DMX fixture.
http://www.tinkerkit.com/dmx-master-shield/
I have found some resources to receiving DMX, but these are quite old and I also have not found anybody who has used Arduino for DMX input AND output.
http://www.maxwellrosspierson.com/2009/03/20/receive-dmx-512-with-an-arduino/2/

Does anybody know of any projects that attempted something similar, can anyone advise me as to the feasibility of this project or is there another tool which is more suited to this task?

Thank you in advance :slight_smile:
stefan

I don't have any advice for you, but do want to add my voice to those who feel a bit lost when trying to implement a DMX interface with Arduino. The guidance I have come across, assume a lot of prior knowledge about using Arduino.

I realize you can't always start a tutorial on a subject by assuming everyone is a new user. But, at the same time, I wish there were a way that people writing guides could indicate what prior tutorials someone should be familiar with, if they hope to follow along.

For myself, I am attempting to create a "DMX-to-DC Motor with Encoder" interface. Because I was concerned with the use of interrupts and the potential for conflicts, I have started to think I have to use steppers, so that I don' have to worry about interrupts. But, this was really done out of ignorance over the use of interrupts with the DMX interfaces, than knowing there would actually be a problem. There seem to be a variety of approaches to how your read or write DMX, and perhaps that is the cause of my confusion.

-Joe

Hi Stefan, I can only recommend A Arduino Library for sending and receiving DMX as a source of DMX library, both sending and receiving are covered. I can tell you that using this code with a WS2801 led strip WILL work as I have done something similar. The link you put for the DMX code example (although probably works) is not written as well as the Matt Hertel code. Bob