AS1130 sink or source?

Hello,

I am developing an arduino application but I need somebody to help me out. Does this http://www.ams.com/eng/AS1130 sink or source current for the 132 driver?

If it sinks, then I don't have to change the board design. Anybody?

Yes it both sinks and sources current in what is more commonly known as a charlieplexing arrangement:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlieplexing

Haven't I answered this before?

i feel like you have...that answer sounds very familiar and confusing. haha. I just need to control 27 LEDs with it. I guess I could rock out the RGB ones if i can get this working. Good thing its a l2C device. I have alot to learn this summer.

If you look at page 9-38 on the data sheet you will see that each of the 12 output pins can be connected to a current regulated source or a NMOS pull down sink. Read the Wiki about charlieplexing techniques to find out what is happening. I don't think you can use RGB LEDs with this chip, just LEDs where you can get at the cathode and anode of each one separately. See the diagram at 15-38.

so I may been a lot of resistors for this for pulling up and pulling down.

Do I pull up if I want to sink a current and then pull down when I want to source a current?

so I may been a lot of resistors for this for pulling up and pulling down.

???

With this chip there is no need to pull anything up or down, just connect the LEDs as shown in the data sheet.

funkyguy4000: so I may been a lot of resistors for this for pulling up and pulling down.

Lol, what was I trying to say!?

funkyguy4000: I just need to control 27 LEDs with it.

A single MAX7219 chip can drive 64 LED's though you cannot individually dim them (just the entire 64 at a time) A single WS2803 can drive 18 LED's and can individually dim each one. Both chips can be daisy chained, the MAX needs 3 pins and the WS needs 2 to program all stacked chips

Well it would be advantageous to use one with pwm. And since i've recently purchased 200 smd 5050 rgb leds, I could control them like so if necessary and could make an RGB version.

So I have a voltage regulator set for a 2.0V output, for red leds, and its already on the schematic. I'm curious, since I don't know what an NMOS current sink looks like, which option would take up less space? An NMOS current sink or current regulated source.

Okay sorry for all the bothering although I’m really confused with this concept.

I’ve researched charlieplexing and I still don’t get how the AS1130 works.
http://www.ams.com/eng/AS1130 <-datasheet

The AS1130 only has CS0-CS11 sinks or sources, although it shows the diagram with other connections and I’m so confused as to how I would hook that up.

Look at the diagram in the data sheet for how to wire it up.

I am, I don't understand the diagram that they have. It shows the CS0-CS11 being used and thats fine. But I don't understand what the horizontal lines are. Where do they come from?

EDIT:

Also I'm having issues trying to figure out what voltage it outputs the signal. It says that its logic level is 3v when the supply voltage is at 5v. I just need confirmation as to whether that is what I'm looking for. If it truly does output 3v on its CS# pins, then I don't need a voltage regulator at all and it would save a lot of pcb space.

so I need to know what the other lines for the diagram are and also if the logic level is what gets output on the CS# pins.

so I need to know what the other lines for the diagram are

They are wires they join up the LEDs to make a circuit.

So CS0 is connected to the cathodes of LEDs 00 to 0A and the anodes of LEDs 10 to B0.
Likewise CS1 is connected to the cathodes of LEDs 10 to 1A and the anodes of LEDs 01 to B1

The voltages for these chips come from the chip itself and there is no need to supply any extra voltage.

Okay so I don't need any additional pins. The CS# ones do all the work. So if CS0 is connected to the cathodes of leds 00 to 0A, then does that mean that the CS11 is connected to those anodes?

then does that mean that the CS11 is connected to those anodes?

No.
CS11 is connected to the cathodes of LEDs B0 to BA and the anodes of LEDs 0A to AA

I’ve drawn up a schematic for the wiring diagram for the AS1130 to the LEDs. How does it look? Charlieplexed correctly?

Looks alright to me. :)

Alright! thanks a bunch! You are always an awesome help Mike

Here's a diagram for charlieplexing 72 led's.

hope it helps.