Ascii codes to go to Pos1 in the serial monitor.

Hi Folks,

I would like the have a serial monitor output that does not scroll, but refreshes periodically at the upper left of the monitor.
What would have been the ascii codes to get the cursor there?
Thank you
Regards

Whatever ANSI codes are required by your terminal emulator.

AWOL:
Whatever ANSI codes are required by your terminal emulator.

:confused:

I meant the codes required by Arduino's built in serial monitor.
Or does the serial monitor not support this?

Dioes not support it.

sterretje:
Dies not support it.

:cry:

sterretje:
Dioes not support it.

Hmm...
When you freshly compile the serial monitor is also cleared.
Doesn't that happen over a serial content?

No.

AWOL:
No.

:cry:

Where could I adress that feature request?
I have got the code running in Tera Term, but it is not as comfortable as the serial console, since you need to disconnect it every time to upload and reconnect it afterwards.

It would really be cute to have at least a way to reset the serial monitor from the serial output.

The serial monitor is part of the IDE; as I see it

IDE tells serial monitor to close serial port
2)
IDE tells serial monitor to clear the screen

Point (1) is the main advantage over using other terminal programs. When using another terminal program, you have to tell it to close the serial port before you use the upload process in the IDE.

There is an alternate IDE that might support that what you need. I unfortunately forgot the name but it can be found somewhere in http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?board=12.0 if I’m not mistaken; you might have to dig a bit to find it.

PS
Feature request can be done on github

sterretje:
The serial monitor is part of the IDE; as I see it

IDE tells serial monitor to close serial port
2)
IDE tells serial monitor to clear the screen

Point (1) is the main advantage over using other terminal programs. When using another terminal program, you have to tell it to close the serial port before you use the upload process in the IDE.

There is an alternate IDE that might support that what you need. I unfortunately forgot the name but it can be found somewhere in http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?board=12.0 if I'm not mistaken; you might have to dig a bit to find it.

PS
Feature request can be done on github

I have posted the feature request on GitHub (#8235), with the recommendation to keep it simple an stupid.
There were several previous requests to add ANSI functionality, which all stalled. (performance end even accessibiltiy concerns, :wink: have you tried the Narrator on the current serial monitor?)

IMHO diverting to an external terminal programm is not in the philosophy of Arduino to keep it accessible to everybody without frills. It should work oob.

First of all I see serial monitor as a debugging tool, not as a full fletched terminal program. And it's reasonably suited for that.

Secondly, Arduino mostly aims at beginners and most of the beginners do not know what ansi escape sequences are.

sterretje:
First of all I see serial monitor as a debugging tool, not as a full fletched terminal program. And it's reasonably suited for that.

Secondly, Arduino mostly aims at beginners and most of the beginners do not know what ansi escape sequences are.

I did not request full fledged ansi escape sequences. Just a code to clear the screen and get to Pos1.
For debugging, having a way to display info at a fixed place is a tremendous advantage.