ASCII over RS485

Hi,

I have a temperature sensor which provides output over RS485. However it's not Modbus, its ASCII over RS 485.

I want my Arduino Mega to read data from the sensor.

The sensor works perfectly when I send commands on terminal program. e.g when I send a command ?T asking for temperature value, it responds by answering !T28 i.e 28 Deg C.

I intend to create a temperature display using Arduino.

Would appreciate any help related to hardware selection & coding!

Would appreciate any help related to hardware selection

You need an RS-485 adapter.

If you need more help, provide more information. Start be supplying a link to that sensor's manual.

Are you sure that you want to use that sensor to get a temperature with one degree resolution? For a few cents you get better sensors that adapt easily with Arduino.

Thanks Shannon.

By 485 adapter, do you mean something like this for arduino?

https://www.amazon.in/Generic-Max485-Rs-485-Arduino-Raspberry/dp/B01EE3N83Y?tag=googinhydr18418-21&tag=googinkenshoo-21&ascsubtag=k_Cj0KCQjwxYLoBRCxARIsAEf16-tGn1HHTNZhoEsXl1a93Dq4BBDvSC_3LFanD4z4ObqMaKr2CDYASAAaAoypEALw_wcB_k&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxYLoBRCxARIsAEf16-tGn1HHTNZhoEsXl1a93Dq4BBDvSC_3LFanD4z4ObqMaKr2CDYASAAaAoypEALw_wcB

This sensor is not what you see in various arduino examples. It is used in industrial applications for measurement of temperature e.g matals, plastics etc. . My objective is to read temperature value from this sensor using arduino & generate 2 analog outputs from arduino. The manual was too large to attach. I’ve attached the command structure.

Thanks

Command structure.pdf (382 KB)

By 485 adapter, do you mean something like this for arduino?

Yes, that should work.

Keep in mind that RS-485 is usually used half-duplex, so you have to provide a signal that activates the sending driver or the receiver.

generate 2 analog outputs from arduino.

A standard Arduino (including the Mega) isn't able to produce an analog output.