ASCII, RS232, Serial

Hello,

I have a Freetronics 11 R3, which is apparently 100% Ardunio compatable.

Does this device out of the box have the capability to monitor a serial port of RS232 ASCII output or do I need to purchase an additional PCB for this board?

I would like to be able to wait for commands and have the Ardunio switch a Freetronics relay which I already have.

Depends on whether it is a real RS232 port or is actually a 'TTL/logic level' output labelled as RS232.
If it has a 9 or 25 pin connector then it may be a real RS232 port in which case you need an RS232 to TTL/logic level converter. If in doubt use a converter as putting RS232 voltages into an Arduino will damage it.

mikb55:
Depends on whether it is a real RS232 port or is actually a 'TTL/logic level' output labelled as RS232.
If it has a 9 or 25 pin connector then it may be a real RS232 port in which case you need an RS232 to TTL/logic level converter. If in doubt use a converter as putting RS232 voltages into an Arduino will damage it.

Thanks for your reply.

The device has a 9pin DB9 input, its an 8 channel RS232 relay.

So I'll asume as you mentioned I'll need the RS232 converter then.

Thanks

Bagel282:
The device has a 9pin DB9 input, its an 8 channel RS232 relay.

Are you talking about this relay.png 8-channel relay board which works on I2C Protocol.

If you are talking about the quoted relay board, please post a link to the device specification.

relay.png

GolamMostafa:
Are you talking about this relay.png 8-channel relay board which works on I2C Protocol.

If you are talking about the quoted relay board, please post a link to the device specification.

Hello,

I'm looking at this board on ebay -

Cheers

1. Yes! I understand that this is your RS232 based 8-channel relay board. If possible, please post the schematic diagram of this relay board.
relayRS232.jpg
2. You need the following RS232-TTL Module between Arduino and Relay Board.
rs232TTL.jpg

rs232TTL.jpg

relayRS232.jpg