Asembling components on a custom protoshield

Hi, I’m trying to solder all the components on a protoshield and I have a problem regarding a motor board controller. I want to put it on the shield and then run cables to wherever I want. But as one pin and one wire don’t fit in a “hole” I don’t know how to set it.

I attach photos of my problem.

"attach photos of my problem."

No you didn't.

Try again.

Weedpharma

weedpharma:
"attach photos of my problem."

No you didn't.

Try again.

Weedpharma

I've reuploaded the photos. Basically I don't know if it's posible to make a bridge between the two pins. This way I will connect one leg of the motorboard with one cable. (Although I don't like this system and that's why I want to know if you have a more "beautiful" way).

Hi,
OP pics
8595d24daa0f097485d21fd3f6153f91277b4bdc.jpg
c26594c273a89806554b88dc21d3ae8616ba173f.jpg
Tom… :slight_smile:

Hi,
Tie the wire around the long pins, then solder.
Wire Wrap.

Tom... :slight_smile:

That's exactly why I don't like the perf-board type prototyping board.

I prefer the "solderless breadboard" style, where holes are connected in groups of 4 - a number of vendors sell prototyping shields in that style. Here's the one I sell in my tindie store, but there are others available.

TomGeorge:
Hi,
Tie the wire around the long pins, then solder.
Wire Wrap.

Tom... :slight_smile:

Nice way :). But do you know where I can buy this type of wires? because the ones I have are not "monowire"; they have many wires inside.

Hi …

you need to buy both the correct wire, and a strip and wrap tool -check ‘wirewrap’ with google etc.

Many component suppliers carry this stuff - eg RS in the UK.

the standard stuff is ( I think ) 20 thou square pins and 30awg ‘kynar’ insulated single core wire…

Open to corrections here - haven’t used the stuff for a while.

it’s good technique for prototyping…

regards

Allan

Wire wrapping is not dead… it’s just hanging out with Disco, Starsky and Hutch, and Dukes of Hazard.

.025" square post, 30 AWG wirewrap wire
Sockets, socket strips, wire, wirewrap tool here
http://www.king-cart.com/phoenixent/product=SOCKETS+WIRE+WRAP+DIP+%26+SIP/exact_match=exact
I use the Gold tool myself, HWS15996
I also solder the corners of sockets, and the end of strips, maybe one pin in the middle of a long strip as well for stability. You can wirewrap to the legs of LEDs also.
I like using Velleman ECS 1/2 Island of Hole boards, 80x100mm, larger pads, better quality on hole spacing, vs the cheaper far east boards with smaller pads that can lift off the board easier if too much heat is applied. Depends on how big a board you need.

Same wire is used to correct/modify printed circuit boards. There is even a version with insulation that melts so you can solder the jumper wire without trying to strip the insulation. Some or all the wire is silver plated so soldering is easy.

Paul

You can also use point to point solderable enamelled wire.