Ask about sensor measuring depth river

Hello everyone, I'm still new in technology sensor, I have a small project and confusion to find the sensor for measuring the depth of the river. I've tried using the HC 04 but the sensor can not work well in damp places. so I want to ask you guys what can the Ultrasonic sensors are used to measure the depth of the river? thanks

There are some weatherproof ultrasonic sensors - I think Sparkfun sells one. You could also run a tube to the bottom of the river then bubble air in the tube and measure the pressure of the air to get the water depth, these are called "bubblers"

Hi,

Waterproof Ultrasonics are used in some car bumpers to see nearby objects.

They are available on AMaZon and other suppliers. See: THIS LINK

These have the same interface as the HC04

water depth or river height ?

fixed location or moving, such as on a boat?

dave-in-nj:
water depth or river height ?

fixed location or moving, such as on a boat?

For this case water depth and fixed location, can suggest type sensor should i use?

This is actually one of those problems that seems simple but is really truly complex.

How long does the sensor have to function? What range do you require? Do you care if the river runs dry or your sensor is destroyed by a 50-year flood?

MorganS:
This is actually one of those problems that seems simple but is really truly complex.

How long does the sensor have to function? What range do you require? Do you care if the river runs dry or your sensor is destroyed by a 50-year flood?

I would like to do research maybe around 3-4 month, for depth requirement probably about 3-4 meters, are there any suggestions for cases like this? thanks

Ultrasonic or optical then. Optical requires lens cleaning but maybe only 1 cleaning in 4 months.

Hi,

Commercial river depth "stage" gauges use a variety of sensors.

The US Geological Survey operates more than 7,000 stream gages across the US.

See: THIS REFERENCE

MorganS:
Ultrasonic or optical then. Optical requires lens cleaning but maybe only 1 cleaning in 4 months.

If you can suggest an ultrasonic sensor can be used in the water? I tried to use the type jsn04srt or experiencing hc04 error due to condense.

terryking228:
Hi,

Commercial river depth "stage" gauges use a variety of sensors.

The US Geological Survey operates more than 7,000 stream gages across the US.

See: THIS REFERENCE

But if either sensor ACDP will be deeply affected by the condition of the turbidity of the water, so it can suggest Ultrasonic sensors which can be used for this case?

if it is a 'fixed location', the depth will always be subject to the river height and flow rate. Unless, of course, your river is subject to shifting bottoms from changing flow rates and patterns (sandbars and eddie pools?).

123Splat:
if it is a 'fixed location', the depth will always be subject to the river height and flow rate. Unless, of course, your river is subject to shifting bottoms from changing flow rates and patterns (sandbars and eddie pools?).

It is true can be measured through the heights, but what if see it through reverse perspective, i.e. from the top of the gauge to the bottom of the river

Presumably you don’t need to know the full range of depth - say if it’s 3m deep, you may only need to measure 2 -4 m or so .
To what accuracy too ? You could have 3 or floats to cover the range ? Would that suffice ?

hammy:
Presumably you don’t need to know the full range of depth - say if it’s 3m deep, you may only need to measure 2 -4 m or so .
To what accuracy too ? You could have 3 or floats to cover the range ? Would that suffice ?

Yes, I need to measure the depth of about 4-5 m.
Nice try accuracy above 90%.

kurniaaji:
Yes, I need to measure the depth of about 4-5 m.

Do you expect the bottom of the river to change ?

Your need to measure the bottom eludes me.

Most measure the rise in the water from the low or normal point.
this tells us of rain and floods. Like this FLOOD MONITOR

Are you trying to map the contours of the bottom ?

It sounds like you need a depth finder. The ultrasonic hobby sensors are not designed to work in liquids.

dave-in-nj:
Do you expect the bottom of the river to change ?

Your need to measure the bottom eludes me.

Most measure the rise in the water from the low or normal point.
this tells us of rain and floods. Like this FLOOD MONITOR

Are you trying to map the contours of the bottom ?

It sounds like you need a depth finder. The ultrasonic hobby sensors are not designed to work in liquids.

the depth of the river assumed unchanged
correct like flood, but if the monitor monitor floods viewed with a broader perspective, this was the height of this otherwise we see about the depth of the river.

What sensors that can be used for water from the beginning I ask. whether with MB1030 LV-EZ3 MaxSonar-can be used in water? I've tried hc 04 and jsn 04srt did not work out well

Sound through moving water, if the flow has colder water at the bottom you may get false echoes like submarine sonar echoes off thermoclines.

Pressure at the bottom is subject to flow as per IIRC Daniel Bernoulli's fluid equations.

The ancient Egyptians built stairs down into the Nile and measured river height on those. A striped pole near shore should serve you as well.

But if it has to be automatic then use an ultrasonic sensor positioned above the surface to see where the surface is in relation to the sensor at known height from the unchanging bottom. Depth is the difference.

GoForSmoke:
Sound through moving water, if the flow has colder water at the bottom you may get false echoes like submarine sonar echoes off thermoclines.

Pressure at the bottom is subject to flow as per IIRC Daniel Bernoulli's fluid equations.

The ancient Egyptians built stairs down into the Nile and measured river height on those. A striped pole near shore should serve you as well.

But if it has to be automatic then use an ultrasonic sensor positioned above the surface to see where the surface is in relation to the sensor at known height from the unchanging bottom. Depth is the difference.

Hmmm.. so is there any ultrasonic sensor or other suggestions that can be used to measure the depth of the river?

If you measure the height of surface from above you won't get false echoes and you can shield against wind without affecting the river. You can measure near the edge of the river in terms of cm from the bottom unless near the edges are shallow enough to go dry.

Just BTW, I have never been in a natural river where the bottom is flat within 10 cm let alone 1.

If I was checking depth from a boat, drop anchor with a 150 test monofil line and see the angle and length of line when the boat stops.

GoForSmoke:
If you measure the height of surface from above you won't get false echoes and you can shield against wind without affecting the river. You can measure near the edge of the river in terms of cm from the bottom unless near the edges are shallow enough to go dry.

Just BTW, I have never been in a natural river where the bottom is flat within 10 cm let alone 1.

If I was checking depth from a boat, drop anchor with a 150 test monofil line and see the angle and length of line when the boat stops.

the plan I'll measure from the surface of, but later the sensor is going to be in the water and in a State of not moving.

If you use the how to lose a tool to measure the depth of I think it's the conventional way, so I want to use sensors to measure it