Asset management and temperature logging

Hi arslanzaidi...

any idea how many of these gadgets you might need? - that makes a lot of difference to the production cost.

Design work... that depends partly on how many - is it worth making a custom design, or would it be cheaper to buy in premade modules and plug them together?

I post this as the volume is important to other interested contributors.

I'll contact you via email...

regards

Allan

allanhurst: Hi arslanzaidi...

any idea how many of these gadgets you might need? - that makes a lot of difference to the production cost.

Well, if demo and pilot batches go fine, then believe me the quantity would be starting from at least 5,000 pieces in one order. There can be 2,3 orders per year and a recurring process. That is why I am also thinking on the lines of having custom design instead of pre-made solutions. Other reason is that pre-made solutions are costing way higher. For example, a pre-made solution from serverscheck (not entirely up to our requirement) is costing around 300 Euros. In bulk, it will still cost around 180-200 euros per unit.

Mentioning again, that the project is still at very very initial level. Purpose of all this technical discussion is to see what things we require to serve our purpose and what will be the estimated cost of such a solution. All real work will come later only if this stage is passed in a feasible manner.

What about Q.1?

Q1 - Yes - probably fine. Probably not economic for bulk production.

15,000/yr is borderline bulk but not huge - I've worked with mobile phone stuff.

If we can get the unit cost down to say 30Eu ( maybe - no promises!) this is a 1.5MEu/yr production cost. Plus installation, support etc.

Development - I always say to clients

' give me a few weeks to properly assess and cost the project at a fixed consultancy rate/hr or day plus costed expenses, after which I'll produce a report with detail estimates , timescales , and a project plan.'

it's up to the client then

regards

Allan.

allanhurst: If we can get the unit cost down to say 30Eu ( maybe - no promises!) this is a 1.5MEu/yr production cost. Plus installation, support etc.

So you think that cost can come down to 30 euros. Hmm..that can work! Lets hear what Gray has to say on this.

Sorry...What's meant by 1.5MEu/yr?

What you say to the clients! :) Roger that boss!

Regards, Arslan

1.5MEu/yr = 1.5 million euro per year.

And it's a VERY uneducated guess - as I said - no promises! probably very optimistic.

Allan

Sorry, had to fly down to Sydney for a couple of days to consult with a client about a design I'm doing for them.

Q.3) What will be the estimated design cost? (Allan and Graynomad you can email me your charges if you feel like)

Not sure, but I've quoted (and had accepted) $20k for something a LOT simpler.

Q.4) Gray, do you really live permanently in a truck?

Not really these days, I built a house from shipping containers and we are currently living in that. We did live in the truck for about 14 years though, is that "permanent"? :)

It's parked next to the house and its solar system is still our only power.