Associate .ino files with Arduino 1.0

I had a problem associating .ino files with Arduino 1.0 in Windows 7.

It turns out that you can't use two different programs in two different locations to associate files if they have the same name.

I had already associated .pde files with Arduino.exe in the Arduino 022 folder.

I wanted to associate .ino files with the Arduino.exe in the Arduino 1.0 folder.

Since the application name is the same, windows won't let you pick a second one to associate files to.

Work arounds ( choose one, though #3 is probably the best ):

1. copy the Arduino files to the same folder location that the old version was in.
  2. change the Arduino.exe application name to something else like Arduino1.exe
  3. delete the Arduino application from the system registry in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\arduino.exe , just delete the whole Arduino folder. ( Note: you can really mess things up if you don't know how to use the registry properly.)

Now windows will let you use the new application to associate files.

If Arduino had a real installer/uninstaller this wouldn't be necessary, since the old registry keys would be deleted.

I was also having trouble with this and your instructions really helped. I’m on a win7 x64 laptop and I had Arduino 21 and then installed 1.0. It upgraded my .pde file to .ino but the windows file association was borked. Deleting the registry worked exactly as I needed. Thanks!

Option 3 was perfect! Thanks!

pebbert9:
... 3) delete the Arduino application from the system registry in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\arduino.exe , just delete the whole Arduino folder. ( Note: you can really mess things up if you don't know how to use the registry properly.)

Now windows will let you use the new application to associate files.

Thanks so much for this. I've been struggling with this since first upgrading the IDE

If Arduino had a real installer/uninstaller this wouldn't be necessary, since the old registry keys would be deleted.

.... and with the folder in the zip file having a different name with each release unsuspecting Windows users are needlessly subjected to this problem with each upgrade :astonished:

1. Associate pde with old version with Windows

2. Arduino Forum uncheck "associate .pde files" in the installer

3. ?

4. Profit!

Thank you for this, your solution works.

Had the exact same setup as yours (previous 0022 release), and I can confirm that some 18 months later, the problem still exists when upgrading to version 1.0.5-r2 on Windows 7.