At a complete loss

I am trying to get my 3d printer up and running was working with the exception of the extruder motor was running backwards. Went into arduino/marlin and change what I thought would do the trick. it uploaded fine, but did not do what I was hoping. Went back in and changed it back and tried something new. now it won’t upload and it won’t really tell me what is goning on… I’ve tried chaging it back to the original code still to no avail. Any one have some ideas???

Here is the error msg…

Arduino: 1.6.12 (Windows 8.1), Board: “Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)”

Sketch uses 81,108 bytes (31%) of program storage space. Maximum is 253,952 bytes.
Global variables use 3,629 bytes (44%) of dynamic memory, leaving 4,563 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 8,192 bytes.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/bin/avrdude -CC:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega2560 -cwiring -PCOM7 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_57925/Cobblebot_Arduino_Code.ino.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.3, compiled on Sep 12 2016 at 17:24:16
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is “C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr/etc/avrdude.conf”

Using Port : COM7
Using Programmer : wiring
Overriding Baud Rate : 115200
An error occurred while uploading the sketch

This report would have more information with
“Show verbose output during compilation”
option enabled in File → Preferences.

NOPRS:
This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Try that.

Also showing the sketch. We don't have crystal balls you know.

It says an error occurred while uploading. So it's not the code. Make sure you have the right board and com port selected and make sure Windows isn't trying to tie up the com port with something else.

The problem is not the sketch - the upload is failing, so either the board has failed, or there's a problem with the programming cable.

Regards,
Ray L.

That was Verbose, otherwise it just said and error occured while uploading.

I'll double check that is set right. but I'm pretty sure it was. I even shut down the computer and restarted just to ensure nothing else was tying the computer up.. this is just weird!!!

RayLivingston:
the board has failed

If it the board has failed, do you mean it could be shot???
whaat is the best way to test this??

Are you sure you weren't missing something like:

avrdude: ser_open(): can't open device "\.\COM5": The system cannot find the file specified.

or

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x1c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x1c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x1c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x1c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x1c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x1c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x1c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x1c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x1c
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x1c

I find it hard to believe that that is the entire error message. There is literally nothing in it mentioning what actual error it had.

This is the "verbose upload" I know the sketch is fine, I run verify and it compiles just fine. As well I have uploaded it before. If you would like to see a "verbose compilation" I will post one. this is just very strange and I'm hoping I didn't fry my board... :frowning:

Further verify your hardware and IDE version ,
in preferences set verbose on compile AND upload, ( does load verify in more details ) load some output intensive sample app - I use Examples Communication ASCII table. Set the baud rate to low so you can observe the serial LED.

Is this your first app running 1.6.12 ?

COM ports can lock - up when weird things like this start; when in doubt flush it out - shut off the PC power for few seconds.

Don't bother posting code - it is not your code problem. .

Jim
Sorry , you confirmed verify works while I was typing, so forget that idea,

RayLivingston:
The problem is not the sketch - the upload is failing, so either the board has failed, or there's a problem with the programming cable.

Regards,
Ray L.

You're right, I didn't think that far into it. After the first few posts you see with "Help, my code doesn't work, what's wrong?" and nothing else it starts being a reflex.

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x1c[i][/i]
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x1c[i][/i]
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x1c[i][/i]
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x1c[i][/i]
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x1c[i][/i]
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x1c[i][/i]
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x1c[i][/i]
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x1c[i][/i]
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x1c[i][/i]
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x1c

I get the same error when I try to upload sketch to my Standalone Arduino using USB FTDI. Seems like some thing to do with Reset.

So yes these kind of errors does happen without any other details.

Seems to be up and running again. I am pretty sure it was getting hung up in the com port. much appreciated for the help as I am fairly new to this. Thank you everyone!!

I got all those

avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x1c

messages yesterday (on Linux) when I tried to upload a program while I had the USB connection (an FTDI cable) open in another application that I had forgotten about.

...R

Robin2:
I got all thosemessages yesterday (on Linux) when I tried to upload a program while I had the USB connection (an FTDI cable) open in another application that I had forgotten about.

...R

For many years I have been saying that the software industry NEVER fully grasped the COM (communication ) concept and its connection to UART hardware.
Typical "Inmates are running the asylum" , take the easy way out.
Never really understood that "the solution" is to turn the power off to get it back to known state.
Had a few occasions when I had to unplug the COM card, weird.
Glad OP got it working, good luck.
Jim

sarouje:
So yes these kind of errors does happen without any other details.

I don’t think you get what I was saying. Having the details I posted would have been helpful because that can narrow down which error is happening. OP had nothing of the sort, just the “there was an error” message.

NOPRS:
Seems to be up and running again. I am pretty sure it was getting hung up in the com port. much appreciated for the help as I am fairly new to this. Thank you everyone!!

So it’s a mystery what was actually causing the problem then?

Jiggy-Ninja:
I don't think you get what I was saying. Having the details I posted would have been helpful because that can narrow down which error is happening. OP had nothing of the sort, just the "there was an error" message.So it's a mystery what was actually causing the problem then?

It would help to read the whole thread.
It is called "troubleshooting the problem" and if the OP knew what was causing it and what supporting documentation is needed - would he ask for help? Get real.
No mystery - the port was busy elsewhere and the than cryptic message - trying to connect - was an indicator.
Now we know , or should know, if we learn anything , what the error message is saying.
Perhaps it will help next time?
Jim

Has the OP tried just the board on its own..or the loopback test ? just to rule out the board

julyjim:
It would help to read the whole thread.

I did, quite carefully and several times after my initial "post your sketch" gaffe.

It is called "troubleshooting the problem" and if the OP knew what was causing it and what supporting documentation is needed - would he ask for help? Get real.

What an amazing concept!. Your deductive reasoning skills are as impressive as those possessed by the creator of Sherlock Holmes, and I truly mean that.

OP's error message contained nothing detailing the actual error that avrdude had, and also had text with "more would have been shown with verbose selected". That is why I asked for additional information that I thought was missing. It may be that that was the entirety of the error message, in which case it's the first I've seen something like that.

No mystery - the port was busy elsewhere and the than cryptic message - trying to connect - was an indicator.
Now we know , or should know, if we learn anything , what the error message is saying.
Perhaps it will help next time?
Jim

It wasn't a cryptic error message, there was no error message at all, just "there was an error".