Atmega 168 Chip erase (-e) using pocket programmer and AVRDUDE

Using the -e command in AVRDUDE I erased an Atmega 168 on this platform. I can't remember exactly how I wrote the command since the name of the bootloader was different that the on sparkfun's tutorial.

I know I'm not supposed to use the -F but I did anyway after hours of reaching no change. COuld I have screwed something up?

I've read something about after a chip erase I have to modify the clock speed that a certain frequency. Can anyone attest to that?

Since the chip erase, I get the error

Code: [Select]
C:>avrdude -b 19200 -c usbtiny -p m168 -F -v -v

Programmer Type : USBtiny
Description : USBtiny simple USB programmer, USBtinyISP - Inexpensive USB AVR Programmer
avrdude: programmer operation not supported

avrdude: Using SCK period of 10 usec
CMD: [ac 53 00 00] [00 00 00 00]
CMD: [ac 53 00 00] [00 00 00 00]
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions
avrdude: Device signature = 0x000000
avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature.
avrdude: Expected signature for ATMEGA168 is 1E 94 06

Everything seemed to be in order when I was trying to read the flash memory off the device. I assume the lock bits were preventing me to do so.

The erase worked bc now the servos don't move eractically. I have disconnected the sevos since. Now I don't even have a device signature. I"m using sparkfun's pocket programmer and windows 10.

The next goal is to put a new bootloader, but now I have to somehow re-assign the signature.

Could this me a manufacturer setting, meaning when I erase flash it basically kills the chip entirely? ANy help would be greatly appreciated!!!

(deleted)

thanks for replying.

In my head I can rule out the wiring because if I intentionally hook it up wrong no power is delivered to the board. Again I'm using sparkfun's pocket programmer.

Any idea how to manipulate the crystal speed using AVRDUDE? Thanks again?

(deleted)