Atmega 325 instead of Atmega 328 o

I am working a project that could use the increased number of I/O ports of the ATmega325 over the ATmega328. Is there any way to modify the Arduino 1.6.8 IDE to support the 325?

The Atmega 325 is the best chip for my application however I have yet to find on this forum or anywhere else how to program to that chip specifically through arduino's IDE.

Thanks to anyone that could help

Seems the mega x5 series hasn't gotten much love - I haven't heard of anyone making a core for it.

The 1280/2560 has lots of pins and is supported in stock, and I think there's a core for the 1281/2561. Those might fit the bill? And the 324/644/1284p is very popular.

Hmm. I have no experience with the ATmega325/645, but the pinout are identically with the ATmega64/128. With a little work you may be able to port the MegaCore to work with the ATmega325.

My suggestion is to stick with something that's actually supported, like the ATmega8535/16/32/164/324/644/1284 or the ATmega64/128

hansibull: Hmm. I have no experience with the ATmega325/645, but the pinout are identically with the ATmega64/128. With a little work you may be able to port the MegaCore to work with the ATmega325.

I was able to locate that and I appreciate the assistance, the two concerns I have is the SCL and SDA pins are different locations as well as the RX and TX. Is there a way I could alter those functionality pins to the pins that I need?

SCL and SDA constants are #defined in pins_arduino - but I'm not sure the code even needs to know. For TX/RX, when you use serial, it will be on the right pins - you don't have to tell it which ones. AVR peripherals take over the pins they're on automatically - it's not like some of the ARMs where you need to also tell the pins to listen to the peripheral.