Atmega 328 (not 328P) What can i use it for

i have a ATmega 328 chip and wanted to know what i can use it for

or is there anything ISP that will allow me to use it for an UNO or Duemilanove

Thanks

I was able to bootload a non P atmega1284 by editing the chip signature in avrdude, bootloading it, then changing the signature back, it may work for a non P 328

Somebody sent me the board.txt definition for the 328, so I added them in http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,118440.0.html

You can use it directly, first load the bootloader via the option in the menu.

eried: Somebody sent me the board.txt definition for the 328, so I added them in http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,118440.0.html

You can use it directly, first load the bootloader via the option in the menu.

ive loaded your IDE and managed to bootload the 328

only thing is i get an error on sketch upload

its says Atmega 328 Signature Expected 1E 95 14

i was under the impression that is correct signature

what is wrong do you know

Moderator edit: quote corrected

Did you add the 328 to your config files, or did you change the config files.

Once you have loaded the bootloader the bootloader reports back that the chip is a 328P.

The steps go like: 1) Burn the 328p bootloader into the 328 chip. 2) Use the 328 in your arduino just like it was a 328p.

Avrdude needs the 'real' 328 signature for step 1, but the compiler/ide should just use the existing "Uno" board definition thereafter (step 2). that means, essentially, that you add a new "board" definition, and use it ONLY FOR THE BURN BOOTLOADER STEP...

westfw: The steps go like: 1) Burn the 328p bootloader into the 328 chip. 2) Use the 328 in your arduino just like it was a 328p.

Avrdude needs the 'real' 328 signature for step 1, but the compiler/ide should just use the existing "Uno" board definition thereafter (step 2). that means, essentially, that you add a new "board" definition, and use it ONLY FOR THE BURN BOOTLOADER STEP...

I read the relevant threads and still confused

btw im using it on a duemilanove not UNO will that cause issues to this setup

a step by step would be good