ATmega 328 on smaller Arduino boards?

Anyone know if the 328 is available as a surface mount and if so if newly manufactured smaller Arduino boards (eg mini, nano) will be fitted with the 328?

/dl

Seeedstudio has plans on a surface mount 328 on regular size board.

Try making your own; that's always fun! :)

/me

I've been trying to get 328s in the TQFP package myself, but no luck :-(

Still only 168s.

If your going SMD why not go for a 644p? Or 1281 (I think that's the part#).

Because the 328 is a standard arduino processor, no library hacking required for software compatibility?

the arduino mega is a 1280. That 100 pin package is a bit tougher to solder than a 32 or 44 pin TQFP.

-j

it would be cool

ATMEGA328P-AU chips are available, slowly. I have a few dozen now ( http://twitpic.com/39v16 ) but that's after two or three month back-order, and even then my whole order wasn't fulfilled.

I bought a couple of 328 from sparkfun to drop on my Duemilanove. What would proper fuse setting be using

arduino-0013\hardware\bootloaders\atmega168\ATmegaBOOT_168_atmega328.hex

The hfuse and efuse are slightly different between the 168 and 328.

From the make file:

atmega328_isp: HFUSE = DA
atmega328_isp: LFUSE = FF
atmega328_isp: EFUSE = 05

Yes and from boards.txt

atmega328.name=Arduino Duemilanove w/ ATmega328
atmega328.upload.protocol=stk500
atmega328.upload.maximum_size=30720
atmega328.upload.speed=57600
atmega328.bootloader.low_fuses=0xFF
atmega328.bootloader.high_fuses=0xDA
atmega328.bootloader.extended_fuses=0x05
atmega328.bootloader.path=atmega
atmega328.bootloader.file=ATmegaBOOT_168_atmega328.hex
atmega328.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
atmega328.bootloader.lock_bits=0x0F
atmega328.build.mcu=atmega328p
atmega328.build.f_cpu=16000000L
atmega328.build.core=arduino

But this does not seem to work for me. I wonder what I am doing wrong? I can install bootloaders and set fuses on the 168 and all is fine.
Files upload and execute.

I install a bootloader on the 328. I power up the 328 it flashes the led, single flashes. When I try to upload a sketch the tx and rx flash for a moment and then back to the single flash pattern on led. Verbose upload says the familar not in sync.

hmm should I move my questions to newby.help ?

Make sure you change the IDE settings for the 328 -- the bootloader runs the serial port at a faster speed than the 168, so if you don't change the settings, the serial communications to upload your sketch won't work.

Yes I noted the speed as 57600 . I wonder if this speed does not work due to the ‘noisey’ enviroment.

Where would you suggest I post to try and find if anyone has a 328 running on a duemilaove?

Bill

Where would you suggest I post to try and find if anyone has a 328 running on a duemilaove?

Umm. Its actually standard now. http://tinkerit.myshopify.com/products/arduino

Umm. Its actually standard now.

Thanks for the info. I ordered mine last Dec but things change.

In any case my problem turned out to be a bad 328 chip. I tried a differnt one and all works just fine.

Very strange that I could perform HVparellel programming of all features but it would not operate from the UART. Even when I do a full clone of the working chip, and verify it, the bad chip still fails to operate properly.

Sparkfun introduced a 328 Arduino Pro Mini today:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9218

Good stuff, maybe the manufacturer(s) of other smaller Arduino borads will follow suit.

Thanks for the link.

/david

I too have been unable to find 328TQFP's in stock anywhere.

You can backorder small quantities of the 328 TQFP @ Mouser. They are listed as "on order" with expected delivery dates of 7/3 and 7/7.

FYI - Mouser is shipping backorders on these now (even though they still don't show current stock).

I placed an order about a month ago and it shipped today.

Cheers!