ATMEGA 328P Burning Bootloader To Use Internal Clock

Hi

I bought at Arduino Uno board and took the ATMEGA 328p chip off the board and am attempting to use another Arduino Uno to burn a boot loader on to use the internal clock of the chip.

I have been following the tutorial https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoToBreadboard And have wired it correctly using the minimal circuit.

Yet I keep getting the following warning: avrdude: Yikes! Invalid device signature. Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override this check.

This is because the device signature is always returning as: avrdude: Device signature = 0x000000

Why isn't it working? Is it because it already has another bootloader burnt on?

If the chip you're trying to burn the bootloader to has the Fuses already configured to use an external clock, you'll need to place a crystal or oscillator there, otherwise it won't work.

Small correction...

If the chip you're trying to burn the bootloader to has the Fuses already configured to use an external clock, you'll need to place [u]any reasonable clock signal on pin XTAL1[/u] a crystal or oscillator there, otherwise it won't work.

Thank you, I will try that. I thought that might be the problem, but I wasn’t sure and didn’t want to break anything. :slight_smile:

Nick Gammon has some very useful programs that include a pin that produces a suitable clock signal.

...R