ATMega 8 question

Hi everybody,

I'm thinking of starting a new project which will use an surface mount micro and I'm thinking of the ATMega 8 for cost reasons. I'd like to run it on the internal oscillator to save on components and I have three questions:

• Can I use the IDE to write code and burn the .hex file output using my ICSP?
  • Should I use the "NG w/ ATMega 8" or "Lillypad" option to match things up right? (or does it matter since I'm programming with ICSP?)
  • If the answer to above question is really "neither" can I modify the Arduino core to load as if on Lillypad (no ext osc) but with ATMega 8 ports?
    And I know from other threads that the delay() and some other timing functions may not work properly on an internal osc, how about communication protocols like SPI, I2C, or Serial?

Thanks!

Can I use the IDE to write code and burn the .hex file output using my ICSP?

That should work, assuming avrdude supports your programmer.

Should I use the "NG w/ ATMega 8" or "Lillypad"

Lillypad - it's an 8MHz internal oscillator configuration. You need this so the speed-dependent code in the core (serial, delays/timing, etc) are scaled correctly.

And I know from other threads that the delay() and some other timing functions may not work properly on an internal osc

Because of lillypad support, everything works just fine at 8MHz.

FYI, I've done this sort of thing with an ATmega88 - a simple app, used the 88 on the internal oscillator for simplicity and cost savings.

-j

Thanks J!