atmega memory jumps

is it possible to create a memory segment fill it with executable code and then move the instruction pointer to the memory address and have it return?

if so would it not be possible to store executable code on say sd? think more like a dll… calling libraries off of sd doing whatever and freeing the memory?

Only if that memory is flash memory - the AVR microcontrollers are Havard architecture, not von-Neumann. And writing flash is (despite the name) slow. Its probably faster to use an interpreter.

MarkT:
Only if that memory is flash memory - the AVR microcontrollers are Havard architecture, not von-Neumann.

Computer history lesson:

The "von Neumann" architecture is also known as "Princeton Architecture" (Von Neumann architecture - Wikipedia).

The strange thing is that we don't refer to the Harvard Architecture (Harvard architecture - Wikipedia) as the "Aiken Architecture", for Howard H. Aiken (Howard H. Aiken - Wikipedia) who, at Harvard in the 1940s, designed the Mark I relay-based machine (also known as the ASCC - Harvard Mark I - Wikipedia) - the "Harvard Architecture" comes from this design...

So - we have a curious case of the common naming of an architecture for the man who designed it, and the common naming of another architecture for the school where it was designed. One man's name is virtually immortalized, while the other is left as almost a footnote...

Such is history, I guess.

Also, technically, the ATMega is actually a "Modified Harvard Architecture" device...

It must be modified - there are no thermionic valves at all!

cjdelphi:
is it possible to create a memory segment fill it with executable code and then move the instruction pointer to the memory address and have it return?

if so would it not be possible to store executable code on say sd? think more like a dll.. calling libraries off of sd doing whatever and freeing the memory?

Yes.