Atmega vs Microsoft USB Driver

Hello Everyone, I hope I'm on the right part of the Forum this time.

I am completely at a loss as to how to make my Widows 10 64 bit PC resume talking to my RUMBA board.

Some time ago everything was running really well Something has changed somewhere and now my RUMBA board(s) show only the Power LED and the occasional flicker of the RX and TX LEDs on power up. The jumper is set for USB power but the problem is the same with 12VDC. I have checked all the pin connections and cable contacts, ensured that EXP1 and EXP2 are correctly installed, etc., etc.

I have switched back to a RAMPS 1.4 (Anycubic OEM) which works fine. This proves the cables are okay. It has a Silicon Labs 10.1.7.2239 driver which I believe must have self-installed when I first used this PCB.

Looking at the various RUMBA USB Serial Ports, they all show Microsoft 10.0.17763.1, dated 21/06/2006. I would have thought that the ports for the RUMBA boards would show drivers for the Atmega16U2 USB chip so that TX and RX can take place. The main processor is the usual ATMEGA 2560.

I have searched high and low to find:

1. The appropriate working driver to install. I scoured the web for the right file but no luck so far.

2. The method of forcing Windows to dump the old driver and replace it with the Atmega driver. Windows keeps telling me the best driver is already installed.

3. Some way of making step-by-step restoration to my previous well-running system.

My hard drive died a few weeks ago and the new SSD hard drive is a big improvement, but I suspect Windows Update or some mysterious system glitch has brought things to a crashing halt.

Please excuse my ignorance of the subtleties of this process, I am pretty slow these days but I assure you I have spent many days dredging the web for clues and I've tried everything plausible to get back to printing.

It seems Atmega doesn't have downloads for drivers. Am I missing something? Of course I am :confused:

Thanks for any help or suggestions, Scintilla.