atmega wifi

I want to use this as a plug and play WiFi board. Can anyone verify that it comes with the AT command set on it? Any of these similar boards are confusing because they reference uploading the AT firmware with the Expressif software but then say you can OTA them which means there has to be code in there.

This looks like the perfect board if so. I looked at the schematic and it solves all my other problems, shield that sticks right on top of an Uno or Mega, has a 3.3V voltage regulator, has a level shifter for the TX and RX pins, and has jumpers to set which pins to connect to on the Arduino. But it will be useless if it has to be flashed since non-technical users just won’t do that. I thought all ESP-8266 chips came flashed. I know some of the dev kits like the NodeMCU come flashed with different firmware though.

fdecker:
I want to use this as a plug and play WiFi board. Can anyone verify that it comes with the AT command set on it? Any of these similar boards are confusing because they reference uploading the AT firmware with the Expressif software but then say you can OTA them which means there has to be code in there.

This looks like the perfect board if so. I looked at the schematic and it solves all my other problems, shield that sticks right on top of an Uno or Mega, has a 3.3V voltage regulator, has a level shifter for the TX and RX pins, and has jumpers to set which pins to connect to on the Arduino. But it will be useless if it has to be flashed since non-technical users just won't do that. I thought all ESP-8266 chips came flashed. I know some of the dev kits like the NodeMCU come flashed with different firmware though.

I see quite a lot of posts like this.
IMHO it is madness to use a ESP8266 with an Arduino unless you have a VERY good reason for doing so.
If you can program Arduino you can program ESP8266. It is truly horrible to use the ESP8266 with AT commands - this will drive you insane!

I developed a ESP8266 board specifically for learning (I am a retired university lecturer) and it's great!

Take a look at D1

I'll make a more general post. I'm not sure what the protocol is here wrt plugging sales.

Ian

fdecker:

This looks like the perfect board if so. I looked at the schematic and it solves all my other problems, shield that sticks right on top of an Uno or Mega, has a 3.3V voltage regulator, has a level shifter for the TX and RX pins, and has jumpers to set which pins to connect to on the Arduino. But it will be useless if it has to be flashed since non-technical users just won't do that. I thought all ESP-8266 chips came flashed. I know some of the dev kits like the NodeMCU come flashed with different firmware though.

I would not use that board with an Arduino.
Get an all-in-one board.
Two of them are mentioned here : Best ESP8266 Wi-Fi Development Board - Buying Guide 2020

The issue is we have is creating an open source product that we really want to package or have people get with "off the shelf" parts and minimal tinkering ability. It is easy to think like engineers when a lot of us have Electrical Engineering and Computer Science degrees, but for our need, we need normal people to be able to purchase an Arduino, a motor control board, and optionally a wifi board. We can't have users uploading code through an IDE to a microcontroller (though many people could), but we have an installer to do it. So having an end user try then have to flash an ESP8266 when it already has perfectly good software on it is a non starter. That is the way we were doing it. Our code and flashing it. We found that the AT commands work just fine to negotiate the connection we need. We parse commands back and forth through the connection through software. A front end controller or piece of software talks to the Arduino control center.

I would love to use a WiFi Uno, or the Mega Wifi, but they aren't official or standard and the WiFi Uno is discontinued, probably because with Chinese manufacturers making them, there is not money in it. The problem with the boards with a WiFi chip on them that I've found so far, is that they do not have the AT command set in them (Doit ruins things by flashing their AP software with a web server) and they hard code the ESP8266 to use pins 0 and 1 on the Arduino which we need for the serial monitor. If anyone knows of another board that will do all this, let me know. I would love to use one. If not, we are going to have to design one.

• Operate as a shield on an Uno and Mega. Tx wires to Rx and Rx wires to Tx (some are hard wired Tx/Tx and Rx/Rx) Serves no purpose sit it to the side and and use jumper wires
  • Have a 3.3V regulator
  • Have a level shifter (not as important since ESPs can take the 5V logic)
  • Have jumpers to allow TX and RX be wired to any pin so we can use software serial on an Uno
  • Leave the AT command firmware that comes from Expressif installed.

Here is the only board I have seen that can do this, though I am not sure it has the AT command set on it and I don't think it is very widespread like clone motor boards are, for example.

Thank you for the help. Any other advice is welcome!

I didn't read your entire post.

https://www.espressif.com/en/products/modules/esp-wroom-02/overview

I cannot see the need here for an Arduino! Boards such as the WeMOS D1 Mini are readily available and would appear to do the job perfectly well! :cold_sweat:

AT = Ancient Technology.

If I never have to program anything using the AT command set again, I will be quite happy.

Perhaps if you tell us what you want this bizarre combination to do, we can offer better solutions.

Thank you @SteveMann! We have a model train control system. We recommend a Mega, but many people have spare Uno's or want something smaller. We created a "kit", and have people (many non technical) go online and buy what we tell them since as an open source volunteer project we are not currently setup to create and package a pre-built system. So we need the least amount of steps and technical skills to put it together at home. This system creates a 12V bi-polar square wave on the track that provides power and control signals to the train. People want a WiFi controller (a phone or handheld device) so they don't have to use a laptop to connect to the Uno for the control software.

Steps: Take a motor control shield and stick it on the Uno. Stick a WiFi shield on the motor control board. Use our installer software to upload the correct firmware with user settings to the Uno. Connect power in and connect the output of the motor board to the tracks. Done. Now a laptop connected via USB can run software to control the trains. It converts command for speed and direction and to beep the horn, etc. to simple text commands parsed in the Uno. We then send NMRA standard data packets to the trains on the PWM signal.

We want AT commands because that is what comes on most ESP8266s and we can't expect a home user to upload firmware. We DID have people use the Arduino IDE to do this for the Uno/Mega, but our installer makes that much easier and opened things up for more people. We also had our own custom firmware for the ESP, which works, but it is too complicated for users to install 2 board firmwares. And we can't have wiring and soldering. (Thank you Paul__B, that is why we can't use a D1. Also we need more pins)

The user may have a laptop AND a phone or other WiFi device connected at the same time. The laptop runs the train software via commands sent to the USB port, and a WiFi client connects via Serial3 to the Uno to basically do the same thing. The phone app is a handheld controller you can walk around with. We just need in our Uno software to set up a connection. The 6 or so AT commands are more than enough to setup a WiFi to Serial bridge. Then text commands come in and we send simple text responses back. Thanks again for the help

This topic has been merged into ATMega Wifi with ESP8266, no response from AT commands.