ATmega1281 Bootloader

Hi All!

I want to use in a small project an ATmega1281 instead of the ATmega1280. I think both are more or less indentical. Except the 1281 has less pins.

My question: Do I require an adapted bootloader, or can I install the Arduino Mega (ATmega1280) bootloader?

If required:

• Is there a ready ATmega1281 bootloader available?
  • Or is there a instruction on how to write an own bootloader?

Thank you very much in advance,
Udo

ATmegaBOOT_168.c allows you to build for 1280 or 1281.
AFAICS, the only differences for the bootloader are the signature bytes, specifically SIG3.
If you spoofed the signature, you'd probably get away just using the 1280 bootloader.

Dear AWOL,

Thank you for your reply.

I found the ATmegaBOOT_168.c in the sub-folder of Arduino-0017. It seems that there are already some signature bytes for the ATmega1281 in the C code.

Do you know how I can create a "ATmega1281.HEX" file from the C-file? I expect I will require the gcc.exe and the makefile. But I do not know how to use them. Any hints for a Newbie?

Udo

Is there also a bootloader for Atmega 2560? thats a beast! and arduino compatible.

I just managed to compile my own Arduino Mega bootloader and uploaded it via the ISP to the Mega. It works! :slight_smile:

I also modified the c source code for the ATmega1281 and compiled it. As soon as I have my hardware design ready I can test it.

Does anyone have a board with ATmega1281 and want to test the hex file?

Udo

Hi Udo,

I would like to test your bootloader for m1281. send it to “arduino an-solutions.de”.

BR,

Tino

So did this work? I'd be interested in using a 1281.

@Starfire

It seems that I made a mistake (?) with the topic. In my eyes it is hardware support, but I am not the only user here :wink:

It seems that Udo will have it's hardware for testing the bootloader in January. Maybe you wanna take mine for now.

check this for now: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1259319950

BR,

Tino

@Starfire

It seems that I made a mistake (?) with the topic. In my eyes it is hardware support, but I am not the only user here :wink:

It seems that Udo will have it's hardware for testing the bootloader in January. Maybe you wanna take mine for now.

check this for now: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1259319950

BR,

Tino