ATmega1284 has a 4th timer

I just realised the previous title wasn’t very good and I’ve been away so it’s now too late to edit. No responses though, I guess everyone except me new eh? :slight_smile:

For those who don’t hang around over at AVR freaks it seems that the ATmega1284 has a fourth timer, here’s a link to the thread.

http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=767701#767701

and here’s the pin functions from two different documents

doc8059

(PCINT14/OC3A/MISO) PB6
(PCINT15/OC3B/SCK) PB7

and doc8272

(PCINT14/MISO) PB6
(PCINT15/SCK) PB7

Rob

No responses though, I guess everyone except me new eh?

Is this about ATMega1284's? If so, that's not a standard Arduino chip, so it is of less interest. Now, the ATMega1280, that's a different story...

Sorry, no undiscovered timers on the 1280 AFAIK.

There's a boatloader for the 1284 now I think and a couple of Arduino clones in the wind, with 16k RAM and two UARTs it's got to be a good option for a clone.

Rob

Shortly after the combined documentation appeared, a question came up about Timer3 in a post here. I contacted the local Atmel FAE about it not mentioning Timer3 for the mega1284P. He confirmed that it was merely a documentation error and said that he would notify the appropriate Atmel personnel.

Sounds like there isn't after all.

merely a documentation error

Hmmm, but in which direction? Left out of one doc or erroneously included in the other.

If I only had a chip I could just try it.

Rob

The 1284p does indeed have 2 8bit timers and 2 16bit timers.

Just tested it.

:D

That's what we wanna hear!

If I had a fourth timer I would...

Wow the socks off my wife with two more fading LEDs!

Wow the socks off my wife with two more fading LEDs!

You’re lucky, my wife doesn’t go from totally bored and unimpressed to “Wow” by adding two fading LEDs. Heck I could throw in a couple of Cray super computers and still get a yawn :frowning:

Actually what would impress her is for me to finally build the oven thermometer I used as leverage to buy a stack of electronics gear a couple of years ago.

Rob